John B. Adams, Executive For Nu-car Carrier; Was 79

Posted: August 11, 1987

John B. Adams, a car and motorcycle devotee who worked at Nu-Car Carriers for 41 years, died Sunday. He was 79 and lived in Bryn Mawr.

Adams was an active member of the Zion Baptist Church in Ardmore, where he was known as much for his generosity as for the special cars from Nu-Car he drove to church.

Born in Leominster, Mass., Adams was attracted to selling automobiles. His father was in the trucking business.

He began working for Nu-Car Carriers and the Lishon Corp. in Chester in 1945 after serving in the Army during World War II.

He was chief mechanic and then head of the company's tire recapping operations. When Nu-Car moved to Bryn Mawr in 1964, Adams became maintenance manager and later special assistant to the president.

When he retired last August as the oldest and most respected employee, company officials threw him a party fit for a king and presented him with a color television set, an engraved gold watch and a plaque honoring him for being ever cheerful, pleasant and helpful.

Board chairman Dexter Lishon Sr. called Adams "the undeclared chairman of the board."

Adams was a familiar sight along the Main Line as he rode his Yamaha motorcycle into his 70s. He won a 1974 motocross championship in Valley Forge on a dirt bike when he was 66.

Adams was also interested in antique cars and owned a 1946 Ford convertible. But true to his generous and loving nature, he donated the Ford to Zion Baptist Church in 1985. By selling the car, the church had half the cost of a $50,000 minibus it needed to transport members to various functions.

The church named him Man of the Year in 1985.

"He not only gave of himself, but he gave us his financial resources as well," said Virginia Pollard, the pastor's wife. "He was so much a part of everything that was going on here."

Adams was a member of the Men's Day Committee, which raised funds for the church. The committee recently raised enough money to buy new chimes, which ring out each hour and play hymns at 12, 3 and 6 p.m.

Pollard said Adams also often donated money anonymously whenever he heard of a needy child or senior citizen in the church. "He never would want his name to be mentioned," she said.

As a Nu-Car executive, Adams had an array of new cars at his disposal. ''Lots of Sundays he would come to church in a Lincoln Continental or a Jaguar," according to Pollard.

He is survived by his wife, the former Jettie Scott; two daughters, Mary Rosser and Shirley Walker; and two sons, James Robertson and Jerry Roman.

Services will be at 8 p.m. tomorrow at the Zion Baptist Church, Spring and Greenfield avenues, Ardmore. Friends may call from 6 to 8 p.m. at the church. Burial will be in Glenwood Memorial Gardens, West Chester Pike and Sterner Avenue, Broomall, Delaware County.


Norma Byrd Watson, a Marine corporal who served as a secretary in the Philadelphia recruiting office in World War I, died Saturday. She was 90 and lived in Scullville, N.J.

Watson was one of only 200 women in the Marine Corps during World War I. She was recommended for promotion to sergeant because she was an unusually efficient secretary, stenographer and typist, but the war ended before she was promoted.

She was interested in the theater in Philadelphia and in New York, where she lived for more than 30 years. She worked as a comparison shopper for the B. Altman department store in New York City from 1935 until 1967.

She then moved to Audubon, Pa., and then to Scullville about seven years ago.

The former Norma Jones, Watson was the widow of the late James D. Watson. Surviving are two sons, J. Donald and Dirk A; a sister, Dorothy C. Parker; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Services will be held Thursday at the Kirk & Nice Suburban Chapel, 41 E. Germantown Pike, Plymouth Meeting, Montgomery County. Friends may call at the funeral home from 7 to 9:30 p.m. tomorrow. Burial will be in Arlington Cemetery, Lansdowne Avenue and School Lane, Drexel Hill.


Services will be tomorrow for Charlene A. Muhr, a registered nurse at Hahnemann University Hospital who died Saturday after a brief illness. She was 25 and lived in Palmyra, N.J.

Muhr worked to help patients prepare for same-day surgery at Hahnemann under a program known as Systematic Access to Varied Elective Surgery, or SAVES.

The former Charlene Place, she was a graduate of Olney High School and earned her R.N. degree at the Hahnemann School of Allied Health Professions.

She is survived by her husband, Dr. William F. Muhr Jr., a radiologist; her parents, Charles and Bertha Place; and two brothers, Charles Jr. and John.

Services will be at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Wackerman Funeral Home, 8060 Verree Road, where friends may call at 11 a.m. Burial will be in Sunset Memorial Park, County Line Road and Bustleton Avenue, Feasterville, Bucks County.

To establish a scholarship in her name, donations may be sent to Hahnemann University, c/o Development Office, Broad and Vine streets, Philadelphia, Pa. 19103.


Services will be held tomorrow for Fitz Eugene Dixon Newbold Jr., a retired aviation expert who helped develop jet engines and military craft. Newbold, who lived in Washington, D.C., died Friday. He was 69.

A native of Devon, Newbold retired three years ago after a long career with such firms as Fairchild Engine & Airplane Corp., Itek Corp., Curtiss Wright, Bristol Fiddeley Engines Ltd. and Rolls-Royce.

He was responsible for the production of the J44 turbojet engine and the J83 turbojet engine for the Air Force, the F227 aircraft and rocket motor cases for the Pershing, Minuteman and Titan missiles.

As corporate vice president and director for Itek, Newbold developed precision optical devices for satellite-surveillance systems, computer preferral equipment and commercial photocopying machines.

He was deeply involved in the development of vertical liftoff aircraft, and introduced the AV/8B Harrier aircraft to the Marine Corps.

Newbold was the recipient of the Order of the British Empire in 1985 and was named an honorary Marine Corps air crewman in 1986.

He attended Episcopal Academy and graduated in 1936 from St. George's, a preparatory school in Newport, R.I. He received a bachelor's degree from Princeton University in 1940 and later attended the National Cathedral in Washington.

Surviving are his wife, Sarah Vaughan; two daughters, Eleanor Pepper Sinkler and Marion Terrell; a son, Thomas Emerson; a brother, William F.; and four grandchildren.

Services will be at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow at St. David's Episcopal Church, Valley Forge Road, Wayne. Burial will follow in the church cemetery.

comments powered by Disqus