Quakers Beaned By Big Green

Posted: February 27, 1988

HANOVER, N.H. — Dartmouth forward John Bean capped off the finest game of his career last night with the finest shot of his life. His 40-foot buzzer-beater shot down the Penn Quakers, 72-69, in front of 2,009 stunned Leede Arena fans.

Bean's shot came after Penn forward Ben Spiva deflected Len Bazelak's inbounds pass near midcourt with three seconds left. Bean grabbed the ball in front of the scorer's table and let go of a two-handed push shot that went in as time ran out.

"The ball was going out of bounds," explained Bean, who matched his career high of 16 points and added 8 rebounds in 19 minutes. "I was just trying to get a shot up."

"We just ran that special play we work on in practice every day," joked Dartmouth coach Paul Cormier. "It was just the way I diagrammed it."

"It was luck. You make that shot maybe once out of every thousand. That one shot didn't lose the game for us," said Penn coach Tom Schneider, whose Quakers (6-4 Ivy League, 8-14 overall) are 3 1/2 games behind league leading Cornell (10-1, 16-7) and, with four games remaining only can hope to force a playoff for the Ivy title.

The shot that might have cost Penn the game came from Jim Barton, whose three-pointer tied the game 69-69 with six seconds left. The nation's 13th- leading scorer got his own rebound after missing from 20 feet with 10 seconds left. Barton (15 points) has made at least one three-pointer in 36 straight games.

"It just came right back to him," Schneider said. "We're up three when he missed, and they got off the second shot."

Penn led 65-54 with 4:14 to play, but did not score another field goal. Dartmouth (8-3, 16-7) used the foul trouble of its own big men to get back into the game. Centers Jason Lobo and Walter Palmer played a combined 19 minutes, but their absence in the late going made the Big Green quicker.

That quickness forced Penn into turnovers (the Quakers committed 25 in the game) and easy baskets. Fatigue in the Penn backcourt also made a difference. Guards Walt Frazier (21 points, 10 assists, 9 rebounds, 7 turnovers), Jerry Simon and Tyrone Pitts had to take up the slack for Tyrone Gilliams, who stayed in Philadelphia with an undiagnosed ear injury.

Big Green guard Bryan Randall (14 points, 6 assists, 6 steals) sandwiched a free throw and a breakaway layup around Bazelak's three-point play that cut Penn's lead to 65-60 with 2:09 left. Randall, Bean and Rob Summers scored to complete an 11-point run and give Dartmouth a 66-65 lead with 1:11 to play.

Spiva (11 points), whose free throws with seven seconds left gave Penn a 70-69 win over the Big Green Feb. 13 at the Palestra, hit four straight from the line to make it 69-66 with 21 seconds left.

After Barton tied the game, Pitts (15 points) was called for carrying the ball with three seconds left.

The Quakers, who led 32-27 at the half, went on a 19-4 spurt during an eight minute stretch to take a 52-39 lead with 10:20 to play. But Dartmouth's perseverance paid off.

"I was really pleased with the way we didn't fold," Cormier said. "It's just one of those things where you want to be in a position to win the game. Tonight we were; we got lucky."

"I'm in a state of disbelief," Frazier said. "It was a nightmare."

comments powered by Disqus