Tainted Glancey Resigns As Judge

Posted: April 01, 1988

Former Muncipal Court President Judge Joseph R. Glancey, facing removal by the state Supreme Court for accepting cash from Roofers Local 30-30B, retired yesterday.

"I hereby resign my commission and retire as a judge of the Philadelphia Municipal Court, effective March 31, 1988," Glancey said, in a March 16 letter to Gov. Casey.

Glancey offered no reasons for his resignation, and he could not be reached for comment.

He is the 10th full-time city jurist to leave office as a result of the Roofers scandal. Eight judges were ousted by the Supreme Court Feb. 25 for taking money from the union and a ninth, Mario Driggs, resigned his Municipal Court post after being convicted of extortion in August 1987.

Unless the State Employees Retirement System rules otherwise, Glancey will be eligible for a yearly pension of about $52,650, or 67.5 percent of his $78,000 annual salary.

The state Judicial Inquiry and Review Board has recommended that Glancey be removed from the bench. In its report to the Supreme Court, the board said Glancey had shown "disregard" for the law when he told FBI agents that he had never accepted any Roofers money even though he had received $300 from the union.

Despite Glancey's resignation, the JIRB will press its recommendation that Glancey be stripped of his office at a hearing before the Supreme Court scheduled for April 13, sources said.

Glancey, 60, has not worked as a judge since May 1986, when he removed

himself from judicial duties and stepped down as president judge in the midst of a federal investigation into allegations Philadelphia judges had accepted cash gifts from Roofers Union Local 30-30B.

He earlier had cited his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination instead of answering the "gifts" section in his financial-disclosure report for 1985.

After being ordered by the Supreme Court to complete that section, Glancey listed what he called a $300 "Christmas gift" from Thomas Brown, an employee of the Roofers Union.

Glancey was suspended by the state Supreme Court on Jan. 30, 1987. He had held the post since the court's creation in 1969.

Glancey's attorney, John Rogers Carroll, has claimed that JIRB found no evidence of any favoritism toward roofers in Glancey's courtroom conduct, and that the high court has never prohibited state judges from accepting gifts.

Glancey easily won retention to a fourth six-year term in November's elections.

comments powered by Disqus