Suspect In Delco Killing Back In U.s.

Posted: July 27, 1988

Thomas S. Vile, who for more than seven months thwarted efforts to deport him from Canada to face trial in the slaying of his former girlfriend in Delaware County, has been returned to the United States.

At 7:30 p.m. Monday, three hours after an administrative judge in Toronto ordered Vile deported, he was turned over to a U.S. marshal and Buffalo police at the Peace Bridge, the span that connects Fort Erie, Ontario, and Buffalo.

Delaware County District Attorney William H. Ryan Jr., who announced the deportation yesterday, said it might take six to eight weeks to have Vile extradited to Pennyslvania.

Ryan said that once Vile was returned to Delaware County, he could go on trial before the end of the year. He said that Vile would be charged with first-degree murder and that the prosecution would seek the death penalty.

Vile, 35, of the 300 block of Holmes Road, Ridley Township, was arrested Dec. 5 in Toronto, one day after Irene Darley Pierce, 35, was slain by two shotgun blasts in the head outside her apartment building in the 300 block of Walnut Street, Ridley Park.

FOUND GUILTY

In June, Victor Maturo, 24, a South Philadelphia man who prosecutors said plotted with Vile to kill Pierce, was found guilty of first-degree murder in Delaware County Court and sentenced to life in prison.

Prosecutors said Maturo drove the getaway car for Vile and owned the murder weapon, a 12-gauge shotgun. They said Maturo, of the 2000 block of South Chadwick Street, agreed to help Vile in exchange for a 1987 Harley-Davidson motorcyle.

Vile has denied in newspaper interviews that he killed Pierce. But Maturo, in sworn statements given to police the night he was arrested, said it was Vile who had shot Pierce.

Pierce's stepfather, Hollywood TV producer Richard Darley, said yesterday that he and Pierce's mother, Marilyn Darley, were grateful to those in the United States and Canada who worked to have Vile returned.

"It was gratifying news," Richard Darley said in a telephone interview

from Hollywood. He said Vile's success in resisting deportation had "torn up" the Darley family, "but we now have the satisfaction to see that the justice is proceeding."

The Darley family's efforts to have Vile deported included writing to Canadian newspapers and to Prime Minister Brian Mulroney. Darely said they also wrote to victims' rights groups in Canada, urging members to pressure Canadian immigration officials to deport Vile.

JAILED IN TORONTO

Since his arrest, Vile had been confined to the Don Jail in Toronto. Shortly after his arrest, he obtained an attorney through a Quaker-based group and began fighting deportation to the United States.

In early January, Canadian immigration authorities declared Vile an ''inadmissable alien" and scheduled him for deportation, but Vile said he was a refugee and asked for a hearing before an administrative law judge, said Delaware County Assistant District Attorney Joel Goldstein, who prosecuted Maturo.

At a deportation hearing Monday, Vile, who was not represented by a lawyer, was asked by the administrative judge to say why Canadian immigration officials should classify him as a refugee. When he did not give any reason, Goldstein said, he was immediately ordered out of Canada.

Vile is being held in the Erie County Holding Center, a spokeswoman for the Erie County District Attorney's Office said yesterday.

He was charged yesterday in New York State Supreme Court with being a fugitive from justice. The court also assigned Vile an attorney.

Vile is appear in the New York court Friday.

|
|
|
|
|