Man Pleads Guilty To Disorderly Conduct In Fracas In Theater

Posted: August 07, 1988

It started out as a quiet night for Clifford W. Fisher 3d, his wife and another couple when they went to the AMC-8 Theater at the Granite Run Mall to see Fatal Attraction on Nov. 28.

But within an hour, according to court records, Fisher was involved in a scuffle with four theater employees and was struck by a state trooper.

Last week in Delaware County Court, Fisher, 29, of the 100 block of Whispering Pine Drive, West Chester, pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and was fined $100 and court costs by Judge Frank T. Hazel.

Court records and Assistant District Attorney William Toal 3d gave this account:

Nancy Moffat of Philadelphia was sitting in the front row of the theater when a man behind her put his knee in the back of her seat and refused to stop.

She approached usher Scott Miles, 17, who asked the man, later identified as Fisher, to keep his feet on the floor. He refused, became obnoxious and demanded to see the manager.

Under cross-examination by Fisher's attorney, Francis R. Lord, Miles acknowledged that at a preliminary hearing in February he had testified that Fisher put his feet down when he asked him to do so.

"Why didn't you end it there? Why didn't you just go away?" Lord asked.

"I don't know," Miles said.

Miles said he returned a few minutes later with the manager, another usher and a security guard, Media policeman Richard R. Johnson.

Johnson said Fisher refused an order to step outside, grabbed his coat and began to push him. The employees pulled Fisher up the aisle and into the lobby and ordered him to leave. He and his companions did so.

Meanwhile, state police were called and Trooper Angelo Perone found Fisher in a nearby parking lot. Perone told Fisher he was under arrest and ordered him to put his hands behind his back.

Fisher refused, and according to accounts, turned toward Perone with a clenched fist as if he intended to strike him. Toal said Perone then hit Fisher and broke his jaw.

Fisher originally was charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, harassment, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. But during a recess in the nonjury trial, immediately following Miles' testimony, Toal and Lord worked out a plea bargain under which Fisher pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and the other charges were dropped.


An Upper Darby man accused of 27 burglaries and two car thefts within an estimated one-mile radius of his home faces a Sept. 8 arraignment in Delaware County Court.

Raymond Stewart, 34, of the 7200 block of Merion Terrace, waived his right to preliminary hearings on four burglary cases Thursday. Last month, charges filed against Stewart in 23 cases were upheld.

Stewart was arrested July 9 after police investigated a report of a man, identified as Stewart, and a young boy acting in a suspicious manner in the rear of an apartment building in the 7200 block of Hazel Avenue.

During a patdown search of Stewart, police found $290, which had been reported stolen at the site. The boy was released to his parents.

Police said Stewart gave them information about other burglaries he had committed.

Jewelry, videocassette recorders and cash were taken from several township apartment complexes and single homes in a 3 1/2-month period, Detective Edward Flood said.

On Thursday, Stewart waived his preliminary hearing on three break-ins at apartments in the 2000 block of Garrett Road and a burglary at the Parkwood Manor Apartments, State Road and Penarth Avenue, between March 28 and May 31. In those incidents, jewelry, cash, stereo equipment, valued at $600, a tax- refund check and change were stolen.

Stewart was returned to Delaware County Prison when he failed to post 10 percent of $725,000 bail.

comments powered by Disqus