Mob Violence Is Personal For Narducci's Sons

Posted: October 05, 1988

Frank Narducci Jr.'s jaw tightened when giant black-and-white photographs showing his father's bullet-riddled body were placed on an easel in federal court yesterday.

His brother, Phillip, looked away as prosecutor Arnold Gordon had a police officer explain what was depicted in the photograph taken Jan. 7, 1982, shortly after Narducci was killed. The graphic, 2 1/2-by-3 1/2-foot photos showed the body lying on a South Philadelphia street.

The Narducci brothers are on trial on federal racketeering charges with reputed mob boss Nicodemo "Little Nicky" Scarfo and 14 others, some of whom are accused of killing the Narduccis' father.

Their father's killing is one of nine murders and four attempted murders the prosecution said were committed "in furtherance" of a criminal enterprise - the Philadelphia/South Jersey Mafia.

Frank Narducci Sr. was fired at 10 times when he got out of his 1976 Cadillac Seville near Curtin and Juniper streets. He had just gotten home from a day in the same courthouse where his two sons are now on trial. And he was facing the same charge they are now - violating the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

Defense lawyer Donald Marino, who represents Phillip Narducci, said later outside the courtroom that the Narducci brothers were told that smaller photographs would be shown.

Marino said U.S. District Judge Franklin S. Van Antwerpen barred two other pictures - gruesome close-ups of Narducci Sr.'s bloodied head and upper body - from being shown to the jury at the defense's request.

Narducci's widow, Adeline, who has attended every day of court, missed yesterday because she had something else to do, Marino said.

The moment was particularly difficult for Frank Jr., Marino said, because he was the last person to see his father alive. Marino said Frank Jr. was with his father in court that day and had dropped his father off at the 1976 Seville, which was parked in South Philadelphia, shortly before the killing.

The prosecution alleges that Scarfo and codefendants Joseph Ciancaglini and Joseph Pungitore killed Narducci Sr.

FBI Agent Clifford Cormany testified about two different versions he gave of the last time he saw Narducci alive.

Cormany testified he walked down a hallway with Narducci Sr. after court recessed that fateful day. The two men talked, Cormany said, and parted at an elevator, which Narducci entered alone to leave the building.

The FBI agent also testified that when he turned to return to the courtroom, he saw Ciancaglini on the telephone.

The government's theory is that Ciancaglini alerted Narducci's killers that he had left the courthouse.

The night of the killing, Cormany told Philadelphia police that he last saw Narducci Sr. talking with a group of defense lawyers in the hallway. He never mentioned that he talked to Narducci or that he saw Ciancaglini on the telephone, according to testimony.

Under cross-examination by Scarfo's lawyer, Robert F. Simone, Cormany said that shortly after the killing, FBI agents tried and failed to get toll records of the telephone on which he saw Ciancaglini talking.

No FBI reports documented the attempts to get the record or Cormany's claims that he told other agents shortly after Narducci's death that he last spoke to Narducci and that he saw Ciancaglini on the phone, Cormany said.

Cormany never explained the discrepancy in the versions he gave.

The first report to document Cormany's assertion was written Sept. 23, 1987 - more than five years after Narducci's death.

comments powered by Disqus