They'll Chart 3 Different Courses For Landing

Posted: February 28, 1989

Once offering to rescue the abandoned Penn's Landing project through the combined efforts of its seven major developers, members of the Philadelphia Waterfront Developers Council yesterday said they have decided to go it alone.

Council president Malcolm Lazin said that three members plan to submit separate proposals for the development.

He added, however, that the proposals, including one from his own group, Penn's Landing Marine Trade Center, "included opportunities far better than the previous plan."

The Edward S. Brown Group and Asbell & Associates also plan to submit their own proposals, he said.

Developer Willard G. Rouse III abandoned the Penn's Landing project last month because he said it would not be financially viable in a soft Philadelphia real estate market. His plan had included shops, theaters, hotels, offices, river walks and plazas along the 44-acre site by the Delaware.

Lazin's comments came during a meeting which included a 10-minute film presentation titled "Philadelphia's Waterfront Development: Where We Are . . . Where We're Going." The program was sponsored by the Philadelphia Maritime Museum and the Philadelphia Area Council on Tourism.

The program provided an update on development projects to more than 150 community and maritime associations, port-related businessess, tourism organizations and others with a stake in development of the waterfront.

Following the program, Lazin was asked about a proposal for development of Piers 9 and 11 between Arch Street and the Benjamin Franklin Bridge.

Some developers recently accused Mayor Goode of setting an unfair timetable to submit proposals for the piers, giving an advantage to the minority-owned Baron Development Group, which had lobbied the city for the project.

The mayor's office had informed developers in a legal advertisement that negotiating rights would be given exclusively to Baron unless others filed

plans by March 3.

During the program, Lazin, apparently referring to the controversy, said that when his group developed Piers 19 through 24 there "had been plenty of time to bid."

He later said he was sure responses for developing Piers 9 and 11 would ''be treated in a fair and equitable manner," noting that developers needed only to submit a letter to the city announcing an interest.

|
|
|
|
|