Ex-phil's Son Accused In Rape

Posted: September 18, 1991

Mark McGraw had to wait in police headquarters about 90 minutes after his arraignment last night before someone arrived with $500 to bail him out on a rape charge.

The strain showed in the 20-year-old's face when he finally emerged from the building at 8th and Race streets at 8:50 p.m. to face a horde of reporters and photographers.

The blond-haired young man, dressed in a long-sleeved white shirt, yellow tie and tan trousers, looked to be almost in pain as he pushed his way through the cameras and microphones thrust in his face.

McGraw, son of ex-Phillies pitcher Tug McGraw, wouldn't say anything about the accusation by a Temple University student that he raped her early Sunday in her dormitory room in Temple Towers on the North Philadelphia campus.

His lawyer, John Riley, made a brief statement: "We are not going to comment on any of the facts. We are aware of the charges. We look forward to addressing those charges in court where we are anxious to present a defense in the case and will do so at the appropriate time."

Bail was set at $5,000 by Bail Commissioner Frank Rebstock shortly after 7:15 p.m. McGraw is charged with rape, indecent assault, simple assault, false imprisonment and unlawful restraint.

A hearing is scheduled for Tuesday in Room 275, City Hall.

Rebstock told McGraw not to communicate with the alleged victim.

With bail set, all that was required for McGraw to be released was for someone to put up 10 percent of the total. It couldn't be learned what caused the delay before an unidentified bearded man arrived with the money.

McGraw, who is living on Perot Street near 23rd, in the city's Fairmount section, with his father, surrendered at 1 p.m. yesterday with his father and lawyer at the police sex crimes unit at 17th Street and Pattison Avenue. He was sent to the Police Administration Building for processing and arraignment. His father did not accompany him to headquarters.

Police said McGraw had no prior record.

Tug McGraw, the Phillies star relief pitcher who is now a Channel 6 sports commentator, issued a brief statement: "My son Mark is faced with a serious accusation. It is now in the legal system and I will stand by my son in that process."

This was the second time a McGraw child has had problems that became public knowledge. Last year, Tug McGraw's daughter, Cari Lynn, now 17, went public with her cocaine addiction, admitting that she had been hooked on drugs since the age of 13.

Capt. Richard Bullick, head of the sex crimes unit, said Mark McGraw met the woman Thursday through a mutual friend. They met again at a party in Fairmount Saturday night.

From the party, McGraw drove the alleged victim, another couple, including her roommate, and a third woman to the Temple campus, Bullick said. They arrived at about 3:20 a.m.

The alleged victim and her roommate signed in their male guests at the residence hall and escorted them to their apartment.

The alleged victim said she went to bed at 5 a.m. When she woke up, McGraw was in bed with her. She told him to leave and he did, Bullick said.

The woman reported the alleged rape to campus security officers, who called police at about 10:30 a.m.

Police would not release any further details.

Temple Towers is a six-story brick building at 13th Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue with an outdoor pool in the rear. It's a coed dorm of suites, each containing a kitchen, living room and bedrooms.

Strictly enforced security rules at the dorm require that all guests be signed in by a resident and leave an item of identification, such as a driver's license, with security guards.

The ID is given back only if the host or hostess returns to the security booth in the lobby with the guest.

Temple spokesman George Ingram said late yesterday that the alleged victim and her roommate both went down to the security lobby Sunday morning to sign out their two male guests.

Ingram said, however, that only the alleged victim's roommate actually signed them out because the victim "was so emotional."

Ingram said he did not know why the guards did not investigate her upset condition at the time, but noted that no security rules had been breached.

comments powered by Disqus