Tyson Takes Stand In Rape Trial; Says His Accuser Consented To Sex

Posted: February 08, 1992

INDIANAPOLIS — Mike Tyson took the stand in his rape trial yesterday and testified that the 18-year-old beauty pageant contestant who brought the charges consented to have sex.

Tyson, 25, is charged with rape and criminal deviate conduct stemming from an encounter with the woman on July 19 in his hotel room. He faces a maximum of 60 years in prison if convicted.

The former heavyweight boxing champion took the stand less than a week after the woman testified that he lured her to his hotel room, pinned her to the bed and raped her as she screamed for him to stop.

He spent one hour, 20 minutes on the stand, speaking calmly and deliberately throughout most of his testimony.

Did he force the woman to engage in sexual intercourse with him, he was asked by chief defense lawyer, Vincent Fuller.

"No, I did not," Tyson responded.

Did she at any time tell him to stop?

"No, she did not," Tyson said. "She never said I was hurting her. Nothing."

Marion County Superior Court Judge Patricia Gifford called a recess after his testimony. The prosecution will begin cross-examining Tyson today.

Tyson said he met the woman on the morning of July 18, a day before the alleged rape, at the Omni Hotel.

"I asked her if she wanted to go out on a date," Tyson said. "She said, 'Yeah, sure, we could go to dinner or to a movie.' I said, 'That's not what I want to do. I want you.' "

Fuller asked Tyson to be more specific.

"It was kind of crass," Tyson said, asking the judge if he could continue. "Yes," she said. "I told her, 'I want to (make love to) you.' She said, 'Sure, just give me a call.' "

Moments later, as Tyson was about to leave the hotel ballroom, he said he was stopped by the woman.

"I was going to walk out the door, but she wrote down her number on a piece of paper and put it in front of my face," he said.

Early the next morning, after attending a rap concert, Tyson was in his limousine when he asked his bodyguard, Dale Edwards, to call the woman at her hotel room.

"He called her and passed me the phone," Tyson said. "I told her to come down. She said, 'I'm in bed. I don't have no makeup.' I said, 'Wash your face, come your hair and put on something loose.' "

Although he was vague about the outfit she was wearing, Tyson said the woman met him in front of the hotel a few minutes later.

Tyson said the chauffeur then drove the couple, with the bodyguard sitting in the front passenger seat, to the Canterbury Hotel, where the ex-champion was staying.

Tyson said he and the woman were kissing each other in the back seat during the short drive.

Once they arrived at his hotel, Tyson, his bodyguard and the woman took the elevator to his room.

Tyson said he and the woman went into the bedroom, where they sat on the edge of the bed. He said they talked for about 10 minutes, mainly about where they lived. Tyson said he placed his hands on her legs during the conversation, after which their physical involvement became more intimate.

Then, Tyson testified, he began "having oral sex" with her.

"Then what happened?" Fuller asked.

Tyson graphically described a sexual encounter that included intercourse.

Afterward, Tyson testified, she went to the bathroom, dressed and began combing her hair in front of a mirror.

"I offered her to stay with me in my room," he said.

Tyson said she declined, but when she asked him to accompany her downstairs, he refused, saying he was too tired.

"She said, 'You don't want to walk me downstairs? I don't believe it,' " Tyson testified. "I said, 'Trust me. I'm tired. You're welcome to stay. I want you to stay. But I'm not walking you down the stairs.' "

It was then, Tyson testified, that the woman became "irritated" and left.

"I went to sleep," Tyson said.

comments powered by Disqus