Sentences Given For Sexual Assault, Striking Of Officer, Burglary, Robbery

Posted: February 11, 1993

A Norristown man has been sentenced to up to a year in jail for sexually assaulting a borough woman in 1991.

James Brewer, 29, of the 300 block of East Marshall Street, pleaded no contest in November to one count of indecent assault in the case.

During a hearing Monday, Montgomery County Judge William W. Vogel also fined Brewer $300 and ordered him to perform 100 hours of community service. The sentence for the assault was for time served to a year in jail. Brewer had been in jail for 30 days at the time of sentencing.

The assault occurred in July 1991. The woman, who said she had been forced to have sex with the man on previous occasions, reported the assault to police about 15 days after it happened.


Hugh Jeffrey Kale has been given a sentence ranging from time already served to 12 months in jail for assaulting a Whitemarsh Township police officer in 1991.

Kale, 30, of the 500 block of Brook Lane, pleaded guilty to a charge of simple assault in July.

According to police reports, Kale was being taken to police headquarters after having been arrested on suspicion of possession of cocaine at the Cool Breeze Cafe, in the 800 block of Spring Mill Avenue.

When the arresting officer opened a rear door of his patrol car, Kale, who had been handcuffed, stepped out with his hands behind his back. Then he slipped out of his handcuffs, police said. When the officer turned to close the door, Kale swung about and struck the officer in the face, police said.

Kale then jumped a fence and ran away. He turned himself in about 14 hours later. He then served 30 days in jail before posting bail.

He was sentenced Monday.

Mince A. Gray got caught going down a dead-end street.

The 22-year-old resident of the 1600 block of Cayuga Street, Philadelphia, was arrested in Atlantic County, N.J., in March after he sped away from a New Jersey trooper, who wanted to talk to Gray about speeding.

Gray was caught after he turned onto a dead-end street. It was then that police discovered he was wanted in Lower Merion Township - for stealing the Chrysler LeBaron he was driving.

Last Thursday, he pleaded guilty to a single charge of robbery before Montgomery County Judge William W. Vogel. A sentencing date has not been set.

Two weeks before Gray's arrest, a man was struck from behind and knocked to the ground after parking his Chrysler LeBaron in the parking lot of the Bala Cynwyd Shopping Center.

The man looked up and saw a gun pointed in his face, and was told to hand over the keys to the car. He later identified his assailant, who drove away in the car, as Gray. When Gray was arrested, police found a pellet gun in the front seat of the car.

Neal Craig Nascimento was sentenced Friday to 11 1/2 to 23 months in the Montgomery County Correctional Facility and three years' probation after pleading guilty to three counts of burglary and one count of criminal conspiracy.

Nascimento was arrested in September after police charged him with burglarizing his mother's home in Royersford and stealing two blank checks.

While in custody, Nascimento, 19, of the 700 block of Swede Street, Norristown, admitted burglarizing offices in the Royersford Industrial Park.

Those burglaries caused an estimated $19,844 in damage. In addition, four phones were stolen from the offices, although they were recovered outside the building. Police also found a pocket medical dictionary, valued at $299, inside Nascimento's room. The dictionary, an electronic device, was reported stolen from one of the burglarized offices.

Nascimento was also ordered to pay $5,300 to the owners of the offices.

comments powered by Disqus