Rev. Harry Judge, 81; Retired Electrician

Posted: April 01, 1993

The Rev. Harry Judge, pastor of the Garden of Prayer World Prayer Center and a retired electrician, died Sunday. He was 81 and lived in North Philadelphia.

Judge came to the Garden of Prayer in 1960 as an assistant minister and became pastor in 1976. He also was minister at Holy Bethel Church at 24th and Master streets, which he helped found in 1962.

Judge worked as an electrician at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard for more than 30 years, retiring in 1970. But one of his sons, Harry Jr. said, "Taking forth the Gospel of Jesus Christ was more of a vocation than an avocation."

Seeing Judge in the pulpit was to see a man transformed.

"It was amazing to me to see his personality change. He was quite slow and deliberate in what he had to say," said his son. "When he got behind the pulpit, he'd start off that way then get fired up."

And he was effective, said his son.

"What strikes me about my dad is he had an unbelievable amount of common sense. It wasn't something learned out of books," he said. Young Judge recalled how he occasionally worked with his father on jobs. He recalled a story that he still tells his Sunday school class.

"You can see how a guy practices (his religion) and how he lives when he hits his finger with a hammer," recalled Harry Jr. "We worked together and many times I've seen my dad hit his finger and never curse his finger. I've watched it start blowing up and turn purple. All he'd say is 'humble.' I'd say to myself, 'Lord, don't let me hit my finger in front of my Dad.' "

Some years ago, young Harry asked a friend who lived across the street why he didn't accept Jesus Christ. The man, who practically lived at the Judge home, said, "Man, I don't want to put you down, but everyone I meet in church is a hypocrite."

"I felt bad about that," said young Harry. "I said, 'What do you think about my Mom and Dad?' "

"Well, they're special," said the young man.

"Well," replied young Harry, "that's what it's all about."

Raised in Pinesville, S.C., Judge came to Philadelphia in 1937. He also had served as assistant to the bishop of the Church of God in Christ, Keystone Jurisdiction.

He is also survived by his wife of 61 years, the former Annie Prioleau; another son, Chris Judge; three daughters, Dorothy Weston, Alberta James and Louise Milner; 20 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, two great-great- grandchildren and a sister, Emma Small.

Services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Garden of Prayer World Prayer Center, 29th and Fletcher streets, where friends may call one hour before the service.

Friends may also call between 6 and 8 p.m. tomorrow at the Garden of Prayer, where a memorial service will be held at 8 p.m. Burial will be in Rolling Green Memorial Park, Route 202 and Route 3, West Chester.


Winifred "Winnie" Amos, the former Winifred Bowen, died Thursday. She was 62 and lived in West Philadelphia.

Amos was described by her daughter, Scharletta Durham, as a woman who "was loving and sincere and more than anything, enjoyed her family."

Raised in West Philadelphia, Amos lived in the 57th and Broomall streets neighborhood. Another daughter, Winifred Amos, said her mother enjoyed playing cards and listening to gospel music.

She is also survived by her husband, William "Billy" Amos; a son, William Amos Jr.; another daughter, Archell Hardaway, eight grandchildren, one great- grandchild, three brothers and three sisters. Another son, Harvey Bowen, died 14 years ago.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Liberty Baptist Church, 5944 Larchwood Ave., where friends may call two hours before the services. Burial will be in Mount Lawn Cemetery, 84th Street and Hook Road, Sharon Hill, Delaware County.


Anna Lamond, a retired seamstress, died Tuesday. She was 76 and lived in South Philadelphia.

The former Anna Urbano, Lamond had worked for several manufacturing firms in Philadelphia before retiring. Her husband was the late Thomas Lamond.

Survivors include two sons, Thomas and Robert; seven grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and two sisters, Pat Savini and Phyllis Rossi.

Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Richard Roman Catholic Church, 19th and Pollock streets.

Friends may call between 7 and 9 tomorrow night at the Vincent Gangemi Funeral Home, Broad and Wolf streets.

Burial will be in Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery, Sproul and Crum Creek roads, Marple Township, Delaware County.


Forrest Clayton Henry, a caterer, formerly of the Philadelphia area, died Saturday. He was 67 and lived in Dover, Del.

Henry had worked for a time for the U.S. Postal Service and later for several catering firms in Philadelphia. Since 1987, he had been working at his brother David's Ford dealership in Odessa, Del.

A 1943 graduate of Lower Moreland High School, Henry was an outstanding athlete and captained the basketball team. He also played football and baseball. He also played trombone in the marching band of the Moore-Triplett American Legion Post in Jenkintown. He was a member of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in Germantown.

During World War II, Henry served in the Navy with aviation ordnance in the Pacific.

For many years, he was employed by the Marriott Hotel chain, rising to maitre' D at the Marina Del Rey in California. After the death of his wife, Willene, in 1978, he returned to the East Coast.

"Forrest was known for his outgoing, enthusiastic personality, and willingness to lend his considerable expertise at any social gathering," said a family member.

Survivors include a daughter, Roslyn; two sons, Forrest and Allan; a granddaughter, "Andie;" two sisters, Emmaline Atkins and Mable Tabb, and three brothers, Nelson, Alfred and David.

Services will be at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Congo Funeral Home, 24th and Market streets, Wilmington, Del., where friends may call two hours before the services.

Burial will be in the Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetery.

comments powered by Disqus