Trenton Man Pleads Guilty To Causing Car Accident

Posted: June 03, 1993

Within months after getting caught twice in Bucks County riding his Harley- Davidson while drunk, Thomas D. Sands of Trenton rammed his then- girlfriend's van into two other cars in Levittown in May of last year, injuring at least one person. Witnesses told police that Sands was drunk at the time, but by the time police arrived, he had fled.

On Tuesday in Bucks County Court, Sands, 30, pleaded guilty to charges of causing an accident involving injury and failure to render aid. Judge Isaac S. Garb sentenced Sands to two to 12 months in Bucks County Prison.

Sands, of the 800 block of Centre Street, explained to Garb that he is in the process of kicking a drinking problem.

"I've been running from this all my life," Sands said of alcohol. "I can't go on like this anymore."

According to court records, Sands was arrested during the early morning of Feb. 12, 1991, in Morrisville Borough when police stopped to help him after he had crashed his motorcycle. Officers noticed a heavy odor of alcohol on his breath, however, and a subsequent test showed he had a 0.14 percent blood- alcohol level. State law forbids driving with blood-alcohol levels greater than 0.10 percent.

On Oct. 9, 1991, Sands was again arrested, this time in Middletown, after police caught him riding recklessly. A blood test showed he had a 0.17 percent blood-alcohol level at the time.

Sands skipped court dates for both DUI charges, and two bench warrants were issued for his arrest.

In March 1992, police re-arrested him, but he was released after posting bail. On the evening of May 22, Sands hit two cars with the borrowed van on Route 13 in Levittown, sending the driver of one of the cars to the hospital with back and leg injuries.

Witnesses said Sands was "very intoxicated" at the time of the accident. He was arrested several days later when police traced the van to his former girlfriend.


William Ibbetson, 18, of Warminster was sentenced to a minimum of four months in prison for selling undercover police $30 of marijuana on New Year's Day.

Ibbetson, of the first block of Walk Street, pleaded guilty Tuesday to possessing a controlled substance with intent to deliver. Judge Isaac S. Garb sentenced Ibbetson to four to 23 months in Bucks County Prison.

Police arrested Ibbetson at 8 p.m. Jan. 1 after he agreed to sell the undercover police 2 1/2 grams of marijuana near the intersection of Rush and Allen Streets in Warminster.

Sandra Waldron of Morrisville was sentenced to two to 23 months in Bucks County Prison late last week for a half-dozen drug and prostitution convictions.

Waldron, 34, of the 1400 block of Old Route 13, had pleaded guilty last year to charges relating to six different arrests that year:

* On April 10, Waldron was arrested near Interstate 95 in Lower Bucks County and charged with possessing crack cocaine.

* On April 24, she was again arrested near I-95, and charged with possession of crack.

* On May 6, undercover police officers stopped Waldron hitchhiking on Route 13 near Edgely Road in Levittown. Officers said she offered to perform oral sex for $20. After she was arrested, police found her carrying a crack pipe, a syringe and two empty crack vials. She was charged with solicitation, and possession of drug paraphernalia

* On May 28, she was arrested on State Road in Bensalem after police said they found her in possession of crack.

* On June 15, she was arrested at Route 13 and Airport Road in Bristol Township and charged with possessing a crack pipe.

* On July 11, she was arrested on Route 13 near Haines Road in Bristol Township and charged with possessing empty crack vials and a syringe.

Waldron was sentenced by President Judge Kenneth G. Biehn Friday.

A Warminster woman was sentenced to a year of probation and ordered to continue counseling after she pleaded guilty Tuesday in Bucks County Court to assaulting her 13-year-old daughter.

Helen Diane Cantagallo-Harmon, 44, of the 1000 block of Dick Avenue, was arrested on the evening of Jan. 14 after police received a 911 call that a domestic dispute was occurring inside her house.

When police arrived, Cantagallo-Harmon's daughter told them that her mother had punched her and knocked her to the ground.

Cantagallo-Harmon had spent more than two months in jail on the assault charge before being released on bail. She told Judge Isaac S. Garb that she is in counseling and is mending her relationship with her daughter, who is now in foster care.

comments powered by Disqus