C. Clark Zantzinger, 89, Architect

Posted: November 23, 1993

C. Clark Zantzinger Jr., 89, an architect and a director of the Fairmount Park Art Association, died Sunday at his home in Haverford after a long illness.

Mr. Zantzinger, also a resident of West Tremont, Maine, was a founder and senior partner in the Philadelphia firm of Kneadler, Mirick & Zantzinger. The firm, which was established in 1935, designed the Friends Central School, in Center City; St. Christopher's Church, in Gladwyne; buildings for the Shipley School, Episcopal Academy, Agnes Irwin School, Bryn Mawr Hospital and Abington Memorial Hospital, as well as the museum that houses Albert Barnes' private collection at Ker-Seal, in Chester County.

After his retirement in 1969, Mr. Zantzinger continued a private architectural practice until recently, with commissions in Pennsylvania, Maine, Georgia and Maryland.

He pursued three major areas of charitable and artistic interest. From 1938 until 1978, he was a trustee of Episcopal Hospital, and he was vice president of the trustees from 1968 until 1971. He was a director of the Philadelphia Charity Ball from 1936 to 1972 and president from 1962 to 1971.

Mr. Zantzinger was a director of the Fairmount Park Art Association from 1955 until his death. He was president of the association from 1969 to 1980. He was instrumental in the acquisition for the city of Jacques Lipschitz's sculpture Government of the People. The sculpture, which cost $216,318 to bring to Philadelphia, drew worldwide attention when Mayor Frank Rizzo commented that it looked as if "plasterers had dropped a load of plaster."

Mr. Zantzinger also was instrumental in the publication of an illustrated volume titled Sculpture of a City, the first record of Philadelphia's collection of outdoor sculpture.

He was a fellow of the American Institute of Architects and a director of the Pennsylvania Society of Architects. As an architect, he was a member of the Mayor's Advisory Commmittee from 1956 to 1958, and a director of the Citizens Council on Philadelphia City Planning for 10 years and secretary for three years.

Mr. Zantzinger was a Radnor Township commissioner from 1948 to 1952, and an alternate member of the Tremont planning board from 1968 to 1978.

He was a member of the Philadelphia Club.

Mr. Zantzinger graduated from St. Paul's School, in Concord, N.H., in 1922. In 1926, he received a bachelor's degree from Yale University, where he was captain of the soccer team and a member of the all-America soccer team. In 1930 and 1931, he received bachelor's and master's degrees in architecture

from the Graduate School of Fine Arts of the University of Pennsylvania, after a summer of study at Fontainebleau in France.

During World War II, Mr. Zantzinger was a major in the Army and was stationed at the Pentagon.

He is survived by his wife, Mary Amory Cook Zantzinger; daughters, Amory H. Stedman and Katharine B. Okie; six grandchildren, and three great- grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Old St. David's Church, Radnor.

Contributions in Mr. Zantzinger's name may be made to Episcopal Hospital, Front Street and Lehigh Avenue, Philadelphia 19125, or to Friends of ACADIA, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|