Second Man Sought In Doughnut Shop Holdup Surrenders To Police The First Suspect Is Accused Of Wounding An Off-duty Officer In The Robbery Try. He Was Arrested Thursday.

Posted: January 01, 1994

The second suspect in the wounding of an off-duty officer during an attempted robbery at a doughnut shop in the lower Northeast surrendered to authorities early yesterday, hours after the first suspect was arrested, police said.

Detectives said they believe the pair, along with two other men who were arrested yesterday, might be responsible for a string of convenience store and gas stations robberies throughout the city.

Eric Hines, 20, of the 1800 block of Foulkrod Street in Frankford, walked up to an officer near a corner of Broad Street and Erie Avenue about 1:30 a.m. yesterday and turned himself in, said Capt. Jim Nocco of the East Detective Division.

Vincon Washington and Rasheed Miller, both 18 and both of the 4700 block of Salem Street, were arrested early yesterday after detectives received information about other holdups during the doughnut shop investigation, Nocco said.

Nocco said the three face at least 12 additional charges - including robbery and aggravated assault.

"They face sundry charges," said Nocco, "but not every one of them will get every charge."

They were to be arraigned at the Police Administration Building yesterday.

Their arrests came hours after Vincent Washington, 20, was taken into custody by two narcotics officers who had tracked him down at a relative's house in the 1900 block of Harrison Street, Frankford. (Police said Vincent Washington is no relation to Vincon Washington.)

Police said that Vincent Washington shot Officer John Fleming during an attempted robbery Tuesday at a Dunkin' Donuts shop at 5001 Rising Sun Ave., and that Hines was an accomplice. Police would not say whether they thought the other two men were involved in this robbery.

Fleming, 43, was shot in both legs at 3:30 a.m. when he tried to unholster his gun after being ordered to open the shop's cash register. A 20-year police veteran, Fleming was released from Albert Einstein Medical Center on Wednesday. He is expected to recover fully.

Vincent Washington also faces multiple charges of robbery, theft, aggravated and simple assault in the robbery and shooting of another off-duty officer July 1, police said.

Detectives said he was involved in the robbery of Officer Allen Harmon, who was attacked by two men about 11:55 p.m. as he withdrew money from an automated teller machine near Stenton Avenue and Washington Lane.

Police said that while one man held Harmon, the other lifted his shirt and grabbed his Glock pistol. Harmon was able to break free, but was shot in the buttocks as he fled.

Besides incidents involving Officers Fleming and Harmon, Nocco said, detectives are investigating whether the suspects might have been involved in other robberies of grocery stores, convenience stores and gas stations.

Detectives said Hines had been sought in connection with a robbery of a Wawa convenience store at 6460 Bustleton Ave. on Wednesday. And, police said, two men matching the description of Hines and Vincent Washington robbed a Wawa store at 4506 Castor Ave., less than a mile away from and minutes after the attempted holdup at the doughnut shop.

Nocco attributed the four arrests to "great cooperation" among detectives

from divisions around the city.

"Everything just worked out," he said. "It's a great way for us to end the year."

comments powered by Disqus