Ole Miss Admits To Some Ncaa Allegations

Posted: September 21, 1994

The University of Mississippi has admitted to more than half of the 15 NCAA allegations against the Rebels' football program, with four charges remaining for a showdown Sept. 30 in Houston.

In documents made public yesterday, the NCAA dropped two of the allegations.

"We will receive sanctions. There's is no doubt about that," university attorney Mary Ann Connell said yesterday in a teleconference call from the campus in Oxford. "No schools have ever, by admitting allegations, not received sanctions."

Connell said university officials will talk to Southeastern Conference commissioner Roy F. Kramer this week to discuss possible penalties the school and the conference can agree on.

Ole Miss officials will go before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions on Sept. 30, at which time, Connell said, the university will argue the allegations still in dispute.

The infractions committee will decide on sanctions for the football program. Connell said a decision could take a month to six weeks.

Ole Miss was put on probation for two years after the 1986 season.

The NCAA's allegations of rules violations by Ole Miss ranged from illegal contacts with student-athletes to promises of cars and cash.

In a mid-August response, Ole Miss substantially admitted six of the 15 violations, denied six and affirmed part of the other three.

Connell said Ole Miss was pleased the NCAA dropped the allegation involving Dwayne Curry. Curry claimed then-assistant coach James Thomas offered cash, airline tickets and an automobile to Curry, of Gautier, in January 1992 to sign with the Rebels.

"It was a significant allegation. We had carefully and thoroughly presented the truth, and in full conscience, we thought it would be withdrawn and we're glad that it was," she said.

Connell said the NCAA and Ole Miss will concentrate on allegations by Jason Sehorn, of Shasta Community College in Redding, Calif., during the infractions committee meeting.

"They are putting everything they have into Jason Sehorn," Connell said. ''This old woman is going to come back with a lengthy argument as to why they are incorrect."

Sehorn allegedly told the NCAA that in December 1991, Rebels recruiting coordinator Gary Carter offered him cash and offered airline tickets to Sehorn's family to use in traveling between Ole Miss and home.

The NCAA also deleted allegations state Sen. Brad Lott, R-Pascagoula, offered student-athletes the use of his telephone credit card.

However, Ole Miss admitted Lott and Jeff Walden, identified as representatives of the university's athletic interests, violated rules by making personal contacts with student-athletes and providing them with meals and transportation at no cost.

In other news:

ALABAMA: AWAITS NCAA WORD

The NCAA will notify Alabama by tomorrow whether it plans to charge the school of rules violations, clear it of wrongdoing or continue a yearlong investigation, the association's enforcement director said.

David Berst said all three options are open to the NCAA, which began investigating the Crimson Tide program after former football player Gene Jelks claimed he received money and other benefits.

But Berst, speaking in a telephone interview from NCAA headquarters in Mission, Kan., would not say what action the organization plans to take.

Jelks publicly accused Alabama in December 1992 of violating NCAA rules. The NCAA notified the school in September 1993 it was reviewing claims of wrongdoing.

NOTRE DAME: BECTON OUT 4 WEEKS

Lee Becton, Notre Dame's leading rusher last season, will be out about four weeks with a strained muscle near his groin.

Becton, who rushed for 1,044 yards last year, has 182 yards and two touchdowns on 35 carries this season. He was injured Saturday during the No. 9-ranked Irish's 21-20 victory at Michigan State.

Right guard Ryan Leahy also will miss Saturday's game against Purdue. He underwent knee surgery in the offseason and sprained his knee in practice last week.

Sophomore Randy Kinder will fill Becton's starting spot at tailback. Junior Steve Misetic will again play right guard.

PITT: MARTIN MIGHT BE OUT

University of Pittsburgh tailback Curtis Martin's sprained right ankle isn't showing much improvement, and coach Johnny Majors isn't optimistic he'll play Saturday against Boston College.

HEISMAN: DEAN LEADS SCRIPPS

Quarterback Terry Dean, who completed 18 of 26 passes for 303 yards and two touchdowns in Florida's 31-0 win over Tennessee, increased his lead in this week's Scripps Howard Heisman Trophy poll.

Dean received six first-place votes from the 10-voter panel. His total of 44 points leads Nebraska quarterback Tommie Frazier by 20. Penn State running back Ki-Jana Carter is in sixth place with 13 points.

VA. TECH: DESHAZO MIGHT START

Quarterback Maurice DeShazo, of No. 14 Virginia Tech, probably will start in tomorrow night's nationally televised Big East Conference game against West Virginia despite a sprained ankle, coach Frank Beamer said.

EDDIE ROBINSON: HONORED

A new award, the Eddie Robinson Trophy, will be given to the top football player from a black college each year. The first trophy, named for the Grambling coach who has won more games than anyone in college football history, will be awarded Dec. 8 in Atlanta.

Robinson, 75, has a 390-140-15 record in 53 seasons at Grambling. He said he was honored to have an award named after him.

"When I found out there would be an Eddie Robinson trophy, I cried," he said.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|