John 'Doc' Logan, 88, Ex-prof, Coach, Trainer

Posted: August 01, 1995

John "Doc" Logan, a retired Temple University professor and a pioneer in sports medicine, died Saturday after a lengthy illness. He was 88 and lived in Port Richmond.

Logan had been a professor, athletic trainer and head swimming coach at Temple in a career that began in the 1930s and spanned more than 40 years. He also taught graduate courses at the university.

A registered physical therapist, Logan for many years was associated with the late Dr. John Royal Moore, former chief of orthopedic medicine at Temple University Hospital. He also worked with Moore in his private practice and at Shriners Hospital.

He received his undergraduate degree from Temple in 1931 and his master's in 1936.

"He was a very hard worker," said Ellen Claire McGlynn, his daughter. ''When I was little, I never even saw him. He would work at night with Dr. Moore making the rounds at Shriners Hospital and until 2 in the morning at Temple with Dr. Moore. It wasn't until years later that I got to know my dad."

McGlynn said she continues to encounter people, some in their 70s, who were students or proteges of her father. Some were World War II veterans who, after the war, tried to further their education at Temple. They told her, "Your father pushed us and would not let us give up when we were ready to throw in the towel."

McGlynn said that "so many teachers in the School District today, and principals, would say they couldn't have made it without him. They all seem to remember him."

Logan had a strong work ethic that had its roots in his old 22nd and Mifflin streets neighborhood. When he was 9, he was cleaning the floors of a butcher shop in South Philadelphia. He worked his way through college and went on working long after most people would have retired.

In 1972, he stopped working full time at Temple and became a consultant for the school. He fully retired at age 80.

Logan was a Navy veteran of the Korean War and World War II, and retired

from the Naval Reserves with the rank of lieutenant commander.

He loved books and always had one with him, but he also loved the out-of- doors, especially hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Logan was a life member of the American Physical Therapy Association and in 1960, was elected fellow emeritus of the American College of Sports Medicine. He also was an honorary life member of the Varsity Football Club of Temple University. He belonged to the American Youth Hostels and the Temple University Faculty Club.

His wife of 57 years, the former Helen Claire Conroy, died in 1989.

Survivors also include a son-in-law, Bill McGlynn; four grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren, and two cousins, John and Jimmy Rogers.

Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Anne's Church, 2328 E. Lehigh ave. There will be no viewing. Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery, Baily Road and Wycombe Avenue, Yeadon.


Josephine McDowell, an original member of the Angelic Gospel Singers, died yesterday. She was 79 and lived in West Philadelphia.

McDowell, a high soprano, began with the group when it was formed in 1944 by her sister, Margaret Allison. McDowell stopped singing with the quartet when she began having health problems in 1984. The group, still active, performs throughout the eastern United States.

"She and I started out together singing," said Allison. "She was loved by everybody. People are still asking for her when I appear somewhere. Singing was her life. On our recordings they would recognize her voice right away. She was out there with me for 40 years."

McDowell was close to her sister. The two either saw one another every day or talked on the phone. In later years, McDowell enjoyed watching the soaps on television.

Originally from Plum Branch, S.C., the former Josephine Wells came to Philadelphia with her family when she was 11. She attended William Penn High School. She was raised in the Pentecostal church.

Her husband, James Taft McDowell, died about 12 years ago.

Survivors include a son, James; six grandchildren; another sister, Virginia Fields, and two brothers, Clarence and Robert Wells.

Services will begin at 11 a.m. Friday at the Hawkins Funeral Home, 5306-14 Haverford Ave. Friends may call one hour earlier.Burial will be private.


Sadie "Cousin Sadie" DeShields, an active member of her church, died Sunday. She was 85 and lived in South Philadelphia.

DeShields was a member of St. Simon the Cyrenian Episcopal Church and lived in the 19th and Pierce streets neighborhood. She was a graduate of South Philadelphia High School for Girls.

Chuck Lucas, a cousin, said: "She loved her church and her church clubs. She was outgoing, warm and caring and had a lot of friends." He said she also enjoyed traveling.

Survivors include her mother, Anna Scoggins, who is 102; an aunt, Fannie Saunders, and a number of cousins in the Saunders family.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at St. Simon the Cyrenian Church,

22nd and Reed streets. Friends may call two hours earlier. Burial will be in Glenwood Memorial Gardens, West Chester Pike and Sterner Avenue, Broomall, Delaware County.


Reginald D. Johns, a former construction worker, died Wednesday after a brief illness. He was 46 and lived in North Philadelphia.

Johns had also served as a Jehovah's Witness minister and attended the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah Witnesses at 18th and Atlantic streets.

"He was a very caring person. He was like a father image, besides being an uncle to me," said Dawn Johns, a niece. "He was always there to help someone."

She said he enjoyed dancing and was a good singer. He was a graduate of Bok Vocational-Technical High School.

Survivors include his wife, Marilyn Johns; six daughters, Juanita, Harriet, Carmella, Amanda, Alexia and Antoinette; three sons, Michael, Aaron and Shawn; three sisters, Lorraine, Lelia and Sandra, and eight brothers, Joseph, Robert, Al, Arnett, Leonard, Todd, Demetrius and Tyrone.

Services will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 18th and Atlantic streets, where friends may call one hour earlier. Burial will be in Greenmount Cemetery, Front and Luzerne streets.

comments powered by Disqus