Gillick is rumored to be a candidate to become adviser to Los Angeles Dodgers general manager Kevin Malone, who was an adviser to Gillick the last three years. Malone was named the Dodgers' GM on Sept. 11.
* Tampa Bay righthander Rolando Arrojo is probably done for the season after leaving yesterday's game against the Toronto Blue Jays in the second inning with stiffness in his right biceps. Devil Rays manager Larry Rothschild said the injury was not considered serious, but added that it was doubtful the Cuban defector would pitch during the regular season's final week.
* Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Jason Schmidt is 3-12 since becoming the National League's first eight-game winner.
* The Minnesota Twins' Paul Molitor went 0 for 3 against the Detroit Tigers, snapping a 17-game hitting streak.
* In his next appearance, Shane Reynolds can become the first Astros pitcher to win 20 games since Mike Scott (20-10) in 1989. Houston has had four 20-game winners: Larry Dierker (1969), J.R. Richard (1976), Joe Niekro (1979), and Scott. Nolan Ryan never won 20 with Houston.
* Ray Durham's home run was his fifth leading off a game in one season, setting a Chicago White Sox record. Durham has seven leadoff homers for his career, one shy of Tim Raines' team record.