Field Goal Fells Unionville Academy Park Quickly Untied The Score After Scott Kempf's Td Pass Late In The Fourth.

Posted: October 26, 1998

UNIONVILLE — Academy Park and Unionville had three things in common after three quarters Friday night: Each team had scored a touchdown. Each had turned the ball over three times. And each had done very little on offense.

But the teams saved the best for last. In an exciting turn of events, the Knights defeated the Indians, 17-14, on a 27-yard field goal by Pat O'Donnell with no time left on the clock in the Del-Val American Conference contest.

O'Donnell had to come through for Academy Park after the Indians tied the game, 14-14, with 1 minute, 3 seconds remaining on a 33-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Scott Kempf (6 of 23 for 109 yards, three interceptions) to Jason Edwards and Brandon Harrison's conversion run.

After that touchdown, quarterback Ron Alexander moved his team from the Academy Park 29-yard line to the Unionville 20 in five plays. With time for only one more play, Alexander threw a pass into the end zone for LeVaun Wesley, who was interfered with by defensive back Kris Glatts. Since a game cannot end on a defensive penalty, the Knights (3-4 overall, 2-0 conference) lined up for O'Donnell's kick from the 10. The boot was perfect, and a mass celebration ensued on the Academy Park sideline.

``All the pressure was on Pat, but now the kids are happy,'' Academy Park coach Sal Oropollo said. ``The kids up front had pressure on them as well because they had to block, but I'm just glad we won. I'm really happy we won.''

The kick was set up by a 33-yard pass from Alexander to Wesley that put the ball on the 22. The Indians (3-5, 0-2) gave up three big pass plays that either led to a score or resulted in one.

Alexander completed a 39-yard pass to Anthony Jones that set up a 1-yard run by running back/linebacker Dustin Clark with 7:44 left in the first quarter to put the Knights ahead, 7-0. He also threw a 36-yard touchdown pass to Wesley with 8:40 to go to put the Knights up, 14-6.

``We ended the game the same way we started it,'' Unionville coach Mike Duggan said. ``By giving up the long pass. We let the kid [Wesley] get deep on us. And Academy Park took advantage of their opportunities, and we made just too many mistakes by too many people.''

The Indians missed an opportunity to tie the game in the first quarter. After Shea Pallante recovered a fumble on the Knights' 33, the Indians advanced to the 12. But Kempf was intercepted by Clark. Unionville scored when Harrison bulled over from the 1 with 1:58 left in the third quarter to bring the Indians to within a point, 7-6.

``They stopped our running game,'' Duggan said. ``We saw our passing game was there, but we just weren't hanging on to the passes.''

comments powered by Disqus