Among the others:
* The Arizona Diamondbacks, already without injured All-Star third baseman Matt Williams, placed closer Matt Mantei on the 15-day disabled list because of biceps tendinitis and Andy Fox on the DL with a hairline fracture in the bone that connects to his left thumb.
Williams is out eight to 10 weeks with a broken bone in his right foot. He had surgery Saturday, and doctors discovered the injury was worse than initially thought. A metal plate was placed over the bone to pull together three fragments.
* The St. Louis Cardinals placed pitchers Matt Morris (elbow) and Scott Radinsky (elbow) on the 15-day DL.
* The Houston Astros put outfielder Matt Mieske on the 15-day DL because of a lower-back strain.
* Texas Rangers lefthander Justin Thompson was put on the 15-DL as he continues to mend from a torn labrum in his left shoulder.
In other news:
DEMOTIONS: Tomko, Perez
* Seattle Mariners righthander Brett Tomko, acquired from Cincinnati as part of the Ken Griffey Jr. trade, was optioned to Triple A Tacoma. Tomko, the Reds' 1999 Opening Day starter, has been bothered by a sore left Achilles' tendon and was 0-2 with a 6.59 ERA in three spring starts.
* Eduardo Perez, son of Hall of Famer Tony Perez, was sent to Triple A Memphis by the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals opted to fill their final roster spot with veteran Shawon Dunston. Perez, a 30-year-old utility player, said he did not know whether he would report or seek his release.
EXPOS: Sign Kline
Lefthander reliever Steve Kline signed a three-year contract with the Montreal Expos, becoming the fifth player to sign a long-term deal with the Expos since new ownership took over in December. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Kline was 7-4 with a 3.75 ERA while leading the NL with 82 appearances last season.
BLUE JAYS: Extend Borbon
Lefthanded reliever Pedro Borbon and the Toronto Blue Jays agreed to a $3.2 million, two-year contract extension. Borbon was 4-3 with one save and a 4.09 ERA last year.
RED SOX: Add Schourek
The Boston Red Sox signed left-hander Pete Schourek to a contract for 2000 with an option for 2001, put him into the fourth spot in the rotation and sent Tim Wakefield to the bullpen.
Schourek was released by the Pittsburgh Pirates last week and became a free agent.
YANKEES: Add Johnson
The New York Yankees picked up some speed on the basepaths, adding Lance Johnson.
Johnson, 36, was cut by the Cleveland Indians last Thursday and signed a minor league contract with New York the following day. The Yankees also purchased the contract of outfielder Roberto Kelly from Columbus, their Triple A affiliate.