Drug Link In Murder Of Sydney S. Bull The Former Norristown Star Athlete Sold Drugs And Was Killed By One Of His Clients, An Affidavit States.

Posted: June 17, 2000

A Shippensburg University senior from Norristown, who was found shot to death and burned in April, sold marijuana and was killed by a regular buyer, according to court documents filed in the case.

An affidavit of probable cause states that Sydney S. Bull, 23, was lured from his studies on the night of April 24 by a call on his pager, then robbed and slain for his supply of illegal drugs and a substantial amount of cash.

"They took more than $1,000 and a quantity of drugs from him," District Justice Harold E. Bender said yesterday in a telephone interview.

Bull, whose family moved to this country from the Republic of Sierra Leone in West Africa, was an accomplished athlete at Norristown Area High School, where he played football and ran track.

His parents now live in Dallas. Members of the family could not be reached for comment.

A university spokesman said Bull began to attend Shippensburg in 1997, after transferring from Albright College in Reading. He was a marketing major who lived off campus.

His charred body was found early April 25 on a mountainside in Michaux State Forest, about 10 miles from the university in Cumberland County.

Matthew Timothy Norris, 19, the Shippensburg man charged Thursday with kidnapping Bull, robbing him, murdering him, and setting him afire, is to appear in Bender's court for a Monday hearing.

Until then, Norris is being held without bail at the Dauphin County Prison in Harrisburg.

Norris had taken classes at Shippensburg but was not a full-time student, state police investigators said.

Emmett M. Lockhart, 32, of Harrisburg, and Dontae Dion Chambers, 18, of Shippensburg, were charged Thursday with helping Norris to kidnap Bull.

Norris said in a statement to investigators that he had bought marijuana from Bull many times. Police said Norris was able to recite Bull's pager number from memory. Norris said he called Bull on April 24.

Chambers said in his statement that the three men had planned all along to rob Bull.

He said they grabbed Bull, drove him about two miles to the forest and took his money and drugs, which they split among the three of them.

Chambers said Norris put a 12-gauge shotgun into Bull's mouth and pulled the trigger. They doused the body with gasoline and set it afire, Chambers told investigators.

Lockhart and Chambers were held after they failed to post bond of $100,000 each. Bender said Lockhart is in Perry County Prison and Chambers is in Cumberland County Prison.

Hearings are set for Lockhart and Chambers at Bender's Shippensburg court on Tuesday.

Larry Lewis' e-mail address is llewis@phillynews.com

comments powered by Disqus