Hardaway, 34, had sought a multiyear deal earlier in negotiations, and last month, while practicing with the U.S. team, spoke out against the Heat's one-year offer.
* Tennessee is fighting a subpoena to release thousands of student records and other documents that ESPN says it needs to defend itself against two multimillion-dollar defamation suits.
* Bill Brask shot an 8-under-par 64 to take the first-round lead in the Bank One Senior Championship in Dallas.
* Jesper Parnevik will have hip surgery today and miss at least six weeks.
* Defending champion Carol Semple Thompson advanced to the semifinals of the U.S. Senior Women's Amateur at St. Simons Island, Ga. Thompson, 51, of Sewickley, Pa., beat Liz Haines, of Gladwyne, 5 and 4 to set up a match with 1999 runner-up Cecilia Mourgue-D'Algue, of France.
* Mark Brown won both his matches and former PGA Club Pro champion Jeff Freeman made six birdies in his best-ball match as the United States took a 41/2-31/2 lead over Great Britain-Ireland in the PGA Cup Matches in Newport, Wales.
* Dottie Pepper and 14-year-old Aree Wongluekiet shot 3-under 69s to share the first-round lead in the LPGA Safeway Golf Championship in Portland, Ore.
* Justin Leonard was tied with Loren Roberts at 9-under par with three holes to play, but double-bogeyed the 16th and finished with a 2-under-par 68 to drop a stroke behind at the Texas Open in San Antonio.