Yeadon Police Veteran Charged District Attorney Patrick Meehan Said Sgt. Robert Boyden Indecently Assaulted A Teenage Girl.

Posted: March 09, 2001

YEADON — A 14-year veteran of the borough police force whose job includes investigating sex crimes surrendered yesterday to face charges that he indecently assaulted a teenage girl at his home.

Delaware County District Attorney Patrick Meehan said Sgt. Robert Boyden, 46, of Aldan, was charged after an investigation into allegations that he assaulted the 16-year-old on three occasions between July 7 and 21.

Meehan said the girl was visiting from Florida when the contact occurred. Boyden is accused of touching the girl through and under her clothing and of soliciting her to take nude photographs of herself with a Polaroid camera that he sent her through the mail, police said.

At his arraignment yesterday before District Justice John J. Perfetti in Upper Darby, Boyden was charged with indecent assault, corruption of a minor, criminal solicitation and two counts of sexual abuse of a child. He was freed on $10,000 bail and ordered to surrender his police weapons.

One of his attorneys, John List, said Boyden would contest the charges and plead not guilty. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 22. Boyden is the brother of former Yeadon District Justice Kenneth Boyden.

"The investigation began when the girl's mother saw naked pictures of the girl" on Aug. 28 and then contacted police in Largo, Fla., Meehan said.

Meehan said the case was especially sensitive because Boyden's duties include sex crimes. "If a sex crime might arise in Yeadon, it's very likely that Boyden would have investigated it," Meehan said.

Meehan characterized the girl and her mother as "courageous" for coming forward.

Police Chief Donald Molineux said his department immediately turned the case over to the District Attorney's Office when Largo police contacted Yeadon police.

"We were not a part of the investigation but we were aware of it, and, of course, we cooperated fully with the District Attorney's Office," Molineux said. "We definitely feel this is a serious incident."

Molineux said Boyden was off duty when the incidents are alleged to have taken place.

For the last three months, Boyden has been on paid medical leave for various ailments, including stress, Molineux said. Yesterday, Mayor Jacqueline B. Mosley suspended Boyden without pay.

"It is a very serious situation and we have to wait to see what the outcome is," Mosley said. "But as of today, he is suspended, and it's up to the Borough Council to determine what will happen next."

Deborah Bolling's e-mail address is

comments powered by Disqus