Former television anchor settles lawsuit Beverly Williams had accused KYW-TV (Channel 3) and its corporate owners of age, sex and race discrimination.

Posted: June 13, 2003

Anchor Beverly Williams, off the air at KYW-TV (Channel 3) since late April, has settled an age-, race- and sex-discrimination suit against the station and its corporate owners.

Williams, 56, who worked at KYW off and on for nearly two decades, is no longer an employee of the station but has been hired to independently produce and host a half-hour weekend public-affairs show.

The as-yet-unnamed show, premiering in September, will be produced in partnership with KYW, the station and Williams announced yesterday.

In an interview, Williams said the show would be "freewheeling, fun and with an eye toward serving the public interest." She said it would "allow the unrecognized to have a voice and be profiled."

Williams was a KYW reporter and anchor from 1975 to 1981. She rejoined the station as an anchor in 1989, after working at CNN and a network affiliate in New Haven, Conn.

In November 2000, Williams filed suit against KYW, CBS Inc. and Viacom Inc. in Common Pleas Court, alleging race, sex and age discrimination. After her last newscast in April 2003, Williams said, she took an extended vacation. Her last day on staff was June 5, the station said.

Williams and the station would not disclose total terms of the out-of-court settlement, reached last month.

Contact staff writer Michael Klein at 215-854-5514 or mklein@phillynews.com.

Inquirer television columnist Gail Shister contributed to this article.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|