Off-campus attack claims victim Police said a Temple University student was shot in his apartment, apparently during an argument.

Posted: June 14, 2005

The Temple University student shot last week inside his off-campus apartment has died of his injury, police said yesterday.

Bryan Yeshion, 21, of Doylestown, was pronounced dead of a gunshot wound to the neck at 1:32 a.m. Sunday at Temple University Hospital, investigators said. Police said he was shot around 12:15 p.m. Friday inside his third-floor apartment in the 1400 block of West Diamond Street in North Philadelphia.

Investigators said it appeared Yeshion had been shot during an argument. The crime was being investigated as possibly drug-related, they said without elaborating.

Yeshion's family could not be reached for comment yesterday.

A Temple University spokesman yesterday said the university was cooperating with homicide investigators. Video security tape of the area was being reviewed to see whether it recorded events connected to the shooting.

Late yesterday afternoon, when not talking with crime-scene investigators, Yeshion's friends and fraternity brothers reflected on the young man known to them as "Hollywood." They placed flowers on the steps of his apartment building and where Yeshion had his last Corona the night before he was gunned down.

"Bryan was a genuine guy. He was a ladies' man. He had a charm that was irresistible," said Rob Darrow, a fellow member of Delta Sigma Phi and recent Temple graduate.

Darrow said contrary to what police were suggesting, Yeshion was not a drug dealer.

"He wasn't selling pounds of weed. He's not selling weed to people in the neighborhood," Darrow said. "They came here to rob his ass because they heard he was pushing weight, but he wasn't."

In fact, Yeshion, who lived alone in the apartment, was a responsible friend who would tell his peers when they had too much to smoke or drink, Darrow said. He said Yeshion had toned down his own drinking to an occasional beer, and had quit smoking marijuana 49 days before he was shot.

"He just went cold turkey," Darrow said.

Friends described Yeshion, who would have been a senior next year, as a good-looking guy who wanted to pursue a career in broadcasting and film.

Kyle Farrell, 21, who described himself as one of Yeshion's best friends and said he had been in touch with his family, said Yeshion's heart was donated to a 16-year-old boy and his kidney to a 10-year-old girl.

"His mother wanted his strong heart to keep on going in someone else," Farrell said. "He was the life of the party."

Contact staff writer Ira Porter

at 215-854-2641 or

comments powered by Disqus