Perez, 29, joined the tour in 2002 and is still looking for his first win.
"I know it's hard to say, but I left two par-5s with easy shots, right in the middle of the fairway and two-putted there," he said. "I missed about an 8-footer on 3. But other than that, it was a great day."
The first four rounds of the 90-hole tournament are a pro-am, with the players alternating among four courses.
* Eddie Brown edged Barry Wagner as the top votegetter as the Arena Football League chose its 20 top players, to celebrate the league's 20th anniversary. Brown, a two-time league MVP, played his entire career with the Firebirds, from 1994-2000 in Albany, N.Y., and in Indiana in 2001.
* A judge threw out charges against six Tennessee-Chattanooga players accused of gang-raping a female student.
* Fresno State coach Pat Hill agreed to a contract extension through 2010 after interviewing for NFL head-coaching positions.
* Issa Hayatou, Africa's top soccer official, wants Europe to do more to combat racism.
* Kristine Lilly scored the opening goal in her world-record 300th international game, leading the United States past Norway, 3-1, at the Four Nations tournament in Guangzhou, China.
* The IOC would welcome a U.S. bid for the 2016 Summer Games - provided the government doesn't try to bar any nations as it has with Cuba at the World Baseball Classic, president Jacques Rogge said. *