Suspect in wife's slaying is killed A Ridley Township man sought in the stabbing of his spouse was shot by police in West Philadelphia.

Posted: November 07, 2006

A a 44-year-old Folsom man sought in connection with the fatal stabbing of his wife early yesterday was killed last night in an encounter with police in West Philadelphia.

Philadelphia police said the suspect was fatally wounded about 7 p.m. during an altercation with police on the 3400 block of Hamilton Street in the city's Powelton Village section. He was shot several times and taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was pronounced dead.

David Capriotti was possibly visiting acquaintances on the block. No details on what precipitated the shooting were immediately released.

Earlier, Capriotti, of the 100 block of Marlin Avenue, had been sought by Ridley Township Police in the death of his wife, Louise Marie Capriotti, 41, in the home the couple had shared since 1993.

Capt. Charles Howley said officers recovered a white van owned by the fugitive from a parking lot behind an apartment complex at 111 McDade Blvd. late in the day, but Capriotti, a 5-foot-11, 225-pound construction worker described as armed and dangerous, was gone.

His wife was found lying face down in the living room by investigators who went to the house after Capriotti's brother alerted them that Capriotti had visited him and confessed to the crime.

There were signs of an earlier fight in the house, Howley said.

Neighbors said the couple had two children.

Throughout the day, investigators scoured the area in and around the Folsom section of Ridley Township for clues to Capriotti's whereabouts.

Howley said detectives recovered several of the family's cell phones and a handgun owned by the fugitive.

Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said that after the killing, Capriotti drove to his brother's home in the 200 block of Barrington Road.

Capriotti was charged with simple assault on his wife, a photographer, early last month and held in Delaware County Prison from Oct. 6 to 16, according to Robert D'Orio, the prison board's solicitor.

Bail had initially been set at 10 percent of $30,000 but was later dropped, and Capriotti was released on his own recognizance.

Contact staff writer Bonnie L. Cook at 610-313-8232 or

Inquirer staff writers Kera Ritter and Stephanie L. Arnold contributed to this article.

comments powered by Disqus