(Makes 4 servings)
1 pound ground lamb
1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
3 tablespoons dried bread crumbs, preferably panko
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon chopped scallions
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 onion hamburger rolls, split and toasted
4 leaves lettuce, washed and dried
4 slices tomato
4 slices each: cucumber and/or red onion (optional)
1. By hand or with a wooden spoon, mix the lamb, olives, crumbs, onion, scallion, salt, pepper, oregano and feta, distributing all ingredients evenly.
2. Divide and shape mixture into 4 patties, 1/2-inch thick.
3. Heat a grill or grill pan. Cook the patties over medium-hot coals or heat to medium doneness, 5 minutes per side.
4. Mix the yogurt and garlic.
5. Put a burger on the bottom half of each roll, spoon on a little garlic sauce and top with lettuce, tomato and, if using, onion and cucumber. Cover with the top half of the roll and serve.
Note: For a thicker sauce, strain the yogurt through cheesecloth or in a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl or cup, discarding liquid.
Per serving: 506 calories, 26 grams protein, 28 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams sugar, 31 grams fat, 89 milligrams cholesterol, 646 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.