Man shot at Valley Forge will be charged

Posted: June 25, 2007

The man who was shot by park rangers at Valley Forge National Historical Park over the weekend is expected to be arrested and charged Tuesday afternoon by federal authorities as soon as he is released from the hospital.

Daniel John McColgan, 43, of Havertown, faces two counts of assaulting a federal officer and possibly federal gun charges, said Jerri Williams, a spokeswoman for the FBI.

According to a news release from the National Park Service, a ranger was checking out McColgan's Chevrolet Blazer around 7:25 Saturday evening. It had been in the parking lot near the statue of Anthony Wayne for nearly four hours.

At that point, McColgan walked out of a wooded area that is closed to the public. The ranger checked McColgan's identification and learned that a bench warrant had been issued for his arrest. The ranger then called for backup.

After the second ranger arrived, McColgan retrieved a large-caliber revolver from his vehicle and started yelling at the rangers, the release said. The Park Service would not identify the type of weapon or the names of the rangers involved.

The rangers repeatedly ordered McColgan to drop the gun, but when he started threatening them, a ranger shot him, according to the release.

One shot didn't stop McColgan, however.

"After being shot, the suspect still did not drop the gun and after making furtive movements, still threatening to shoot the rangers with the gun again, a ranger shot the suspect two times," the release said.

McColgan was arrested, given emergency medical treatment, and flown to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was listed in good condition Monday, said hospital spokesman Rick Cushman.

According to court records, McColgan is wanted by Delaware County authorities on outstanding DUI charges. The bench warrant was issued last month.

Assisting park rangers in the early stages of the investigation of Saturday's shooting were Chester County detectives, and police from Tredyffrin and Upper Merion Townships.

The last shooting in the park was a suicide in 1999 or 2000 that was committed in front of two park rangers, according to John Bailey, a Tredyffrin Township detective sergeant.

Park superintendent Mike Caldwell said that Outer Line Drive was closed Saturday at the Wayne's Woods picnic area until the investigation was complete. None of the park's evening activities was disrupted, he said.


Contact staff writer Nancy Petersen at 610-701-7602 or npetersen@phillynews.com.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|