How the new meters work:
- Each meter is multi-space, which means that you can use any machine in the vicinity, not just the one nearest to your parking space. You buy time, not a space.
- The meters are solar powered and recharge their batteries, giving them a life of around six years.
- Old single-space meters need batteries to be replaced each year.
- The new meters use two-way wireless technology to send immediate reports of malfunctions or to alert workers that a particular machine needs to be collected.
- If rates or hours of operation change, the new meters can be switched over via computer all at once.
- The old models require each individual meter to be manually switched if rates or hours change.
- The solar powered meters only require ambient light to work and still operate in bad weather.
How you work the new meters: