3 students charged with bomb threat

Posted: September 15, 2007

Three Pennsauken High School students were charged yesterday with making false public alarms after phoning in a bomb threat to the school, authorities said.

Cinnaminson police received a 911 call shortly after 8:30 a.m. saying two bombs had been planted at the 1,700-student school. They immediately traced the call to a pay phone outside a Wal-Mart store on Route 130, near where Cinnaminson Lt. Robert Martens happened to be patrolling.

Martens spotted a Ford F-150 pickup truck leaving the scene with three students in the cab. When he pulled up behind them in his marked cruiser, all three lit up cigarettes, said Sgt. William K. Covert.

"He could see they were very nervous," Covert said. "But his first thought was, they looked like they should all be in school."

Martens pulled over the pickup on River Road and questioned the occupants - Andrew J. Donohue, 18, of Merchantville, and two Pennsauken girls, aged 16 and 15 - and learned they had cut classes.

Security cameras at Wal-Mart had been pointed at the phone booth. A review of the photographs showed the two girls on the phone at the time the bomb threat was called in, Covert said.


Contact staff writer Sam Wood at 856-779-3838 or at samwood@phillynews.com.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|