"It was a good play. He did like a little slant on me," Jones said. "The ball was kind of in there first, but I kind of knocked it out, when I was up in the air there. We needed it. That was a big play for us, ending the 2-minute drill."
Jones said the defenders checked out of a blitz that would have left Avant uncovered. "I came out of [the blitz] because of the personnel that were in," he said.
* Earlier, the offense won a ball that could have gone to the defense - in seven-on-seven, Joe Mays had a McNabb pass on his fingertips, but Avant snatched it and took off.
* Another fight yesterday, defensive tackle Willie Williams vs. offensive lineman Mike Gibson. Not surprisingly, the prime antagonists always seem to be guys scrapping for roster spots.
* Mays chased down and smothered LeSean McCoy on a dumpoff, then a screen, one to each side of the field, on back-to-back plays.
* With his fellow defenders yelling "Watch that screen!" Darren Howard snuffed a screen to Lorenzo Booker, catching Booker from behind just after he caught the ball.
* Kevin Kolb hung up a bomb to Jeremy Maclin, allowing Quintin Demps to get under it, outjump Maclin and knock the ball away.
- Les Bowen