Without a new deal, replacement officials will be used when preseason play opens Oct. 1.
In other NBA news:
* A judge in California has ruled that Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant's former housekeeper can continue her wrongful discharge case but can't sue for emotional distress.
* Veteran forward Juwan Howard signed a 1-year contract with Portland.
* Baseball coach Steve Carr, of Cardinal Dougherty High, has resigned to become an assistant at Widener University.
* Archbishop Wood Brian O'Grady, a second-team Daily News All-City outfielder last spring, has committed to play baseball at Rutgers.
* Junior point guard John Johnson, of Girard College, has committed to Pitt for basketball.
* The Major League Soccer expansion draft to stock the Union roster will be held Nov. 25.
* Arkansas basketball coach John Pelphrey said he will suspend at least one player two to three games following a rape investigation that did not result in charges. No players were named.
* Ohio State starting right tackle Jim Cordle will miss the next 3 to 4 weeks with an ankle injury.
* Roger Federer has been fined $1,500 for using a profanity while arguing with the chair umpire during the U.S. Open final.