Low & Outside

Posted: May 03, 2010

Fear strikes out

After much of Times Square was evacuated Saturday night when a sport utility vehicle carrying a crudely made bomb was found on 45th Street, police in the Bronx monitored the more than 45,000 fans attending the Sunday afternoon game between the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox without adding to their typical force.

"Our usual precautions are sufficient," NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said.

"We'll remain vigilant from a screening standpoint as we are with every game," Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo said.

Major-league teams playing afternoon games Sunday reported no change in security. "We already have tight security measures. So, nothing in addition," Tigers president Dave Dombrowski wrote in an e-mail to the AP.

Guillen: "We should feel proud"

In town to manage the White Sox against the Yankees and staying near Times Square, Ozzie Guillen says he was up until 3 a.m. Sunday morning watching news of the failed car-bomb attack near his hotel.

"Things were kind of scary," he said.

The White Sox were staying at a hotel on 47th Street, two blocks from the crime scene. Guillen was at dinner and returned to find the area filled with police and onlookers. "We should feel proud of the people here in New York about the way they handled it," he said.

Why you should always bring a mitt to the game

Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire says catcher Joe Mauer could be out a week with a bruised left heel, after the reigning AL MVP hurt it Friday night stepping on first base.

Rookie Drew Butera played all 11 innings in a 5-4 loss to the Indians on Saturday. In the 10th inning, Cleveland's Lou Marson crashed into Butera trying to score.

"My blood pressure went crazy," Gardenhire said. With no other catchers available, he had earlier asked for volunteers.

"Orlando Hudson said he'd do it," Gardenhire said of the loquacious second baseman, who has never played any other position in nine seasons. "He'd wear out all the opposing hitters just talking to them."

You can run, but . . .

On Friday night, with the bases loaded in bottom of the 11th inning of a scoreless tie with the Texas Rangers, Seattle's Eric Byrnes squared to bunt on an 0-and-1 suicide squeeze. But he inexplicably pulled his bat back to leave Ichiro Suzuki to be tagged for the second out of the inning. Byrnes then struck out to end Seattle's chance. The Rangers scored two in the 12th and that was the game.

As reporters entered the Mariners' clubhouse, Byrnes tore out on his 8-speed bike down a Safeco Field hallway, making a right down a tunnel and then a 90-degree left around Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik before riding off.

On Sunday night, the Mariners released Byrnes.

Contact staff writer Michael Harrington at mharrington@phillynews.com.

This article includes information from the Associated Press.

comments powered by Disqus