Posted: July 15, 2010

Man found dead in N. Phila.

A man in his 20s was found fatally shot in a vacant lot on 18th Street near Dauphin in North Philadelphia about 7 last night.

Police said the victim, whose name was not released, was pronounced dead at the scene. Investigators had no motive for the slaying or description of the shooter. Tipsters can contact the Homicide Unit at 215-686-3334 or -3335.

Four shot after argument

Four men were shot after an argument in Frankford last night. The victims were wounded at Bridge and Hawthorne streets about 9:50 p.m., said Sgt. Joseph Green of Northeast Detectives.

Three of the victims – ages 19, 19 and 23 – were admitted to Aria Health's Frankford campus in stable condition. Green said the fourth victim was admitted to Aria Torresdale in critical condition. It was unclear how many assailants police were searching for. Tipsters can call 215-686-3153 or -3154.

Ticket-appeal head named

Jeremiah Connors, a former executive at the Philadelphia Parking Authority, will become director of the city's Bureau of Administrative Adjudication, which is responsible for handling parking-ticket appeals.

The agency's last two chiefs were pushed out under pressure. Clorise Wynn resigned in May during an investigation of improperly-dismissed tickets, and Joseph F. Hoffman Jr. was reassigned in 2003 after the FBI caught him taking money to fix tickets for a city taxicab kingpin.

2nd child dies after June fire

A second child has died from injuries suffered in a Port Richmond house fire last month.

Family members said that Jacob Budzilo, 1, died Tuesday at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, where he had developed an infection.

Nicholas Budzilo, 3, died a day after the June 22 fire, which the fire marshal said was caused by an overheated extension cord.

Bank swindler gets 6 years

Roberta Stutzman, 62, of Boyertown, Berks County, was sentenced yesterday to more than six years in a federal lockup for swindling National Penn Bank out of about $4.4 million.

U.S. District Judge Joel Slomsky ordered Stutzman to pay more than $4 million in restitution. She pleaded guilty to bank fraud, embezzlement and tax fraud March 19.

Sharks close N.J. beach

Two sharks swimming close to shore prompted officials in Seaside Park, N.J., to close beaches yesterday. Capt. Joe Gomulka, of the Seaside Park Beach Patrol, said that the two 5-foot sharks were seen by surfers in the morning, and lifeguards removed all bathers until about 12:30 p.m.

- Staff and wire reports