David Wayne Tyson, 54, Linwood entrepreneur

David W. Tyson
David W. Tyson
Posted: August 25, 2010

David Wayne Tyson, 54, of Linwood, Atlantic County, a South Jersey builder and entrepreneur who renovated several decades-old taverns, died of a heart attack on Sunday, Aug. 15, at a friend's home in Camden County.

In the early 1970s, Mr. Tyson worked a few odd jobs and took a liking to construction. By 1974 he was working as a general contractor, and in 1982 he started his own business, Tyson Construction.

"He was a hard worker, self-starter," said his former wife, Mary Boyer. "He learned it all on his own."

Within 10 years, Mr. Tyson had constructed 100 duplexes and single-family homes along the Jersey Shore, mainly in Atlantic and Ocean Counties.

But after a housing market crash in the early 1990s, Mr. Tyson's business dissolved.

It wasn't long before he found another project. His love for the ocean and history led him to work on the restoration of the historic Anchorage Tavern in Somers Point, Atlantic County.

He and a business partner purchased Brownie's in Egg Harbor, restored it, and renamed it Chuck's Hideaway, Boyer said. They sold the restaurant shortly afterward.

In 1998, he acquired Seasons, a sports bar in Somers Point, which he renamed Caroline's by the Bay, after his daughter.

Around the same time, he restored the former Brass Rail in Barrington and renamed it Old Rail Tavern.

His last major project was the renovation of an Atlantic City Airport Circle bar in Egg Harbor, which he renamed Christi's Bar and Restaurant, as homage to former New Jersey Gov. Christie Whitman.

Mr. Tyson, who lived in Linwood for a while, continued to be co-owner and manager of Caroline's and Christi's until he died, his ex-wife said.

An avid fisherman, Mr. Tyson loved going out on his boat in rough tide. He enjoyed traveling and would treat his employees to a vacation each year, Boyer said.

Mr. Tyson was born in Bryn Mawr and raised in Haddon Heights, where he attended Haddon Heights High School.

He married Mary Boyer in 1985. The couple divorced shortly afterward but remained good friends.

Mr. Tyson is survived by a daughter, Caroline Tyson; a son, Mackenzie Morris; and two sisters.

A service was held Friday, Aug. 20, at the George H. Wimberg Funeral Home in Linwood.

Contact staff writer Claudia Vargas at 856-779-3917 or cvargas@phillynews.com.

comments powered by Disqus