Body found of missing student from Clifton Heights

Posted: May 06, 2011

The body of a Geneva College student from Delaware County who had been missing since late January was found Thursday morning in the Beaver River about 30 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.

Devon Minor, 18, of Clifton Heights, drowned, according to police in Beaver Falls, Pa., where the college is. The death was ruled a suicide.

A worker monitoring the river's locks near New Brighton, Pa., found Minor's body around 7:30 a.m. He was wearing a hooded sweatshirt that had his college identification in the pocket, according to Beaver Falls Police Chief Charles Jones.

The college freshman was last seen Jan. 20 in the school's dining hall. He left behind his phone, wallet, bank cards, and winter jacket.

His disappearance sparked a large-scale investigation by local and state police, area fire departments and, later, the FBI.

"We are deeply saddened by Devon's passing," college president Ken Smith said in a statement. "Now, just as our community came together in response to Devon's disappearance, I ask that everyone draw together as we mourn the loss of this young student."

As the news of Minor's death found its way to social networking sites, messages of support were left by his friends and family.

More than 3,200 people had signed up on the "Praying for Devon Minor" Facebook page since his disappearance.

"My dear nephew, May your soul rest in peace, we will miss you dearly yet our love will live on . . . [Now] go be with your mother and your grandparents you'll be in good hands!" Michele Mapp posted yesterday.

A 2010 graduate of La Salle College High School, Minor was a member of the track and field team, worked with the homeless, and tutored at-risk students from La Salle Academy in North Philadelphia, according to Christopher M. Carabello, a La Salle High spokesman.

Carabello said Minor was popular and had developed "wonderful relationships" with the faculty and staff. He said Minor was a good student, talented writer, and was looking forward to college.

Thursday, students who were close to Minor were pulled aside and told of the news. Other students heard in class, he said.

"We were hoping for the best," Carabello said. "Not a day has gone by that we did not start with a prayer for him."

Contact staff writer Mari A. Schaefer at 610-892-9149 or

comments powered by Disqus