A 13-year-old girl was awarded $10 million Tuesday after a Philadelphia Common Pleas Court jury determined she suffered a life-threatening reaction from taking Children's Motrin brand ibuprofen a decade ago.
Brianna Maya, of Tennessee, was three-and-a-half when her parents gave her the over-the-counter drug to treat a fever and cough. The side effects were initially minor and included rash and hives. Then blisters began to form in her mouth, her attorney said.
The lawyer, Eric Roberson, said there was no warning on the packaging of what happened next. The mucus membranes of her tiny body became ravaged as toxic epidermal necrolysis, a rare side effect, took hold.