Talks halt, loss of more games probable

Posted: October 21, 2011

NBA LABOR talks broke down yesterday after 3 days of meetings failed to yield a deal to end a 112-day lockout, raising the likelihood that even more games will be canceled in an already fractured season.

After 30 hours of negotiations in front of a federal mediator, the sides remained divided over two main issues - the division of revenues and the structure of the salary-cap system.

"Ultimately, we were unable to bridge the gap that separates the two parties," NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver said. "We understand the ramifications of where we are. We're saddened on behalf of the game."

Union president Derek Fisher said players realized the ripple effect of the stalemate.

"This is not in any way about ego," he said. "There are a lot of people's livelihoods at stake separate from us."

Without a deal, NBA commissioner David Stern, who did not attend yesterday's negotiating session because of the flu, likely will decide more games must be dropped. The season was supposed to begin Nov. 1, but all games through Nov. 14 - 100 in total - have been scrapped, costing players about $170 million in salaries.

"Hopefully, we can get back to the table, but certainly a tough day, a very tough day," said Peter Holt, the labor relations committee chair and owner of the San Antonio Spurs.

Previously, each side had proposed receiving 53 percent of basketball-related income after players were guaranteed 57 percent under the previous collective bargaining agreement. Silver said the league formally proposed a 50-50 revenue split Wednesday, and the union moved from 53 percent to 52.5 percent yesterday.

|
|
|
|
|