Body is found in Akron stadium hours before game

Posted: October 23, 2011

AKRON, Ohio - Authorities say a body was found at the University of Akron's football stadium, hours before a game was to kick off.

Gregg Bach, a spokesman for Akron athletics, said that the body was discovered around 10 a.m. Saturday in the stadium's bleachers and that university police had concluded their investigation.

University spokeswoman Laura Massie said police told her the death appeared to be a suicide. Massie said the man was a former student, but declined to elaborate, citing federal privacy laws. She said authorities were waiting to release his identity until his family had been notified.

University police did not immediately return phone calls.

Akron began its football game against Ohio University at 3 p.m. as scheduled.

Connor still being evaluated. Louisville cornerback Anthony Conner was undergoing additional tests after breaking his neck in a game against Rutgers, Louisville coach Charlie Strong said Saturday.

The injury occurred on the first play of the second quarter Friday night, when Conner's head hit the knee of Rutgers receiver Mohamed Sanu.

Conner wasn't paralyzed. Strong said the senior was conscious with feeling in his extremities.

"We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers for Anthony and his family during this difficult time," Strong said.

Suspensions handed out. The Pac-12 Conference suspended 10 players Friday for their involvement in a fight that occurred during the first half of the UCLA-Arizona football game Thursday night.

"The conference is extremely disappointed in the actions of the student-athletes involved in this incident," commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement. "It is unacceptable behavior and violated conference rules, as well as NCAA fighting rules."

The suspensions will occur during each school's next scheduled game. UCLA plays Saturday against California, while Arizona is at Washington that day.

The fight started when a streaker ran onto the field and three players from each team started jawing at each other. Shoves followed and players from both teams raced onto the field, pushing each other and throwing wild punches in a melee that spread nearly 60 yards across the field.

Several players had to be restrained by coaches before officials got everyone back to their respective sidelines. Arizona led, 42-7, at the time and won, 48-12.

comments powered by Disqus