Floyd's next foe: Cotto

Posted: February 02, 2012

FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR. got almost everything he wanted yesterday, receiving a boxing license and naming an opponent and a date for his next fight. The unbeaten champion got everything except a showdown with Manny Pacquiao

.

Mayweather will fight Miguel Cotto on May 5 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden after Nevada's athletic commissioners granted him a conditional license for one fight before he goes to jail June 1 to start serving a 90-day sentence for domestic violence.

Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) chose Cotto (36-2, 29 KOs), the respected Puerto Rican champion, as his next opponent only after failing to land a date with Pacquiao, the superstar Filipino congressman. The two sides have discussed what's likely to be the most lucrative fight in boxing history for nearly 3 years without reaching a deal.

Mayweather, a seven-time world champion in five weight classes, will turn 35 this month. He'll step up to 154 pounds to challenge Cotto for the WBA super-welterweight belt.

Baseball * 

Prosecutors say criminal charges will not be filed against Dodgers first baseman James Loney, who was arrested Nov. 14 on suspicion of driving under the influence after his Maserati hit three cars on a Los Angeles freeway. The city attorney's office obtained a report from law enforcement and determined there was insufficient evidence.

* Former Phillies long reliever Chad Durbin agreed to terms with Washington on a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. With Cleveland last year, he went 2-2 with a 5.53 ERA in 56 games.

* Toronto and closer Francisco Cordero finalized a 1-year, $4.5 million contract. Cordero, 36, was 5-3 with a 2.45 ERA and 37 saves for Cincinnati last year.

Olympics * 

In an effort to tackle illegal betting, match-fixing and other corrupt activities, the International Olympic Committee will host a meeting today in Lausanne, Switzerland, of sports leaders, government ministers, licensed betting operators, lottery companies and the international police agency Interpol.

* Three-time Olympic heavyweight boxing champion Teofilo Stevenson, 59, says he's recovering well after spending 2 weeks in a Havana hospital for an arterial clot.

Sport Stops * 

The NCAA put Nebraska on 2 years' probation and endorsed the school's self-imposed fine of $38,000 as part of an impermissible benefits case involving textbooks and school supplies. The NCAA spared Nebraska a stiffer punishment for what the Division I Committee on Infractions determined to be major violations across multiple sports from 2007-10.

* England captain John Terry will stand trial July 9 after the European Championship over allegations he racially abused an opponent during a Premier League match. His legal team entered a plea of not guilty at a hearing yesterday. He faces a maximum fine of $3,940 if convicted of a racially aggravated public order offense.

* Former top-ranked Caroline Wozniacki has fired coach Ricardo Sanchez after just 2 months. Wozniacki's father told the Ekstra Bladet that his daughter didn't get "new impulses" from working with Sanchez. Piotr Wozniacki will go back to coaching his daughter on his own. Sanchez told the newspaper that he found it "impossible" to have a system with two coaches and that "Caroline only got confused."

|
|
|
|
|