Murdoch starting a new tab

Posted: February 20, 2012

LONDON - The successor to Rupert Murdoch's scandal-tarnished News of the World newspaper will start publication in a week, a senior News Corp. executive said yesterday.

In an email to staff, News International CEO Tom Mockridge said that Murdoch himself would be staying in the British capital to oversee the launch of the Sun on Sunday.

The Sun on Sunday will replace the top-selling News of the World, which was closed in July after revelations that members of its staff had routinely hacked into phones and paid bribes to score exclusives. The ensuing scandal stunned Britain's establishment, led to dozens of arrests and resignations, and has spawned a wide-ranging official inquiry into U.K. media ethics.

It also prompted a damaging advertiser boycott that left Murdoch with little choice but to close the tabloid, whose reputation had been left in tatters.

There has long been speculation that the Australian media tycoon intended to replace the market-leading paper with another one once the scandal blew over.

|
|
|
|
|