During the course of the hearing, Cleland said he may throw out parts of some defense subpoenas rather than quash entire demands.
Sandusky, 68, is confined to his State College home to await the start of his trial on 52 criminal counts involving 10 boys over 15 years. He has denied the allegations.
Amendola has made dozens of requests for records or other material, much of it background information on the accusers.
Amendola told the judge the defense is looking for "any evidence that these students suffered from behavioral issues, mental health issues, prior to their contact with The Second Mile or the defendant." Sandusky founded The Second Mile as a charity for at-risk youth and met many of his alleged victims there.
In other college news:
* Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, who has floated ideas for how a four-team college football playoff should be set up, said that any new format shouldn't include a team that doesn't win its division. Alabama finished behind LSU in the SEC West last season, but the Crimson Tide got a spot in the Bowl Championship Series title game and beat the Tigers.
* St. Bonaventure basketball coach Mark Schmidt signed a contract extension with the school that will keep him in the fold through 2018-19.
* New LSU coach Johnny Jones said forward Ralston Turner has been granted a release that would allow him to transfer to a school outside the Southeastern Conference if he chooses to do so.
* Baylor All-America center Brittney Griner has a broken right wrist sustained in a skate boarding accident and will be in a cast for 4 weeks.
* The ACC and ESPN have extended their television deal through the 2026-27 season. A person familiar with the agreement told the Associated Press that it's worth $3.6 billion over the 15 years.
* Goalkeeper Hope Solo and star striker Abby Wambach are part of the 28-player roster invited to training camp for the United States as it prepares to play China. in an exhibition game on May 27 at PPL Park. Other World Cup veterans invited include defenders Rachel Buehler and Heather Mitts.