? cup apple juice or cider
? cup lager beer, at room temperature
12 seeded sourdough or kaiser rolls, split
Coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
For smoky barbecue sauce:
1 cup ketchup
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1? tablespoons cider vinegar
? cup beef stock
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
Coarsely ground pepper
For the horseradish sauce:
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon sliced chives
1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, to taste
Kosher salt and pepper
For the red cabbage slaw:
2 cups packed shredded red cabbage
? cup grated red onion
1 granny smith apple, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon superfine sugar
Kosher salt and pepper
1. Make the rub by combining the rub ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Generously coat the brisket with lots of black pepper on all sides, then with the spice rub, massaging the spices into the meat. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight in the fridge.
2. Preheat a smoker to 250 degrees and set up for cooking over indirect heat by placing coals and a couple of handfuls of wood chips (apple or cherry chips are nice) to one side. Place the brisket fat side up on the grate on the opposite side from the coals and cook for 4 hours.
3. Remove the brisket from the smoker and slather with the grated onion. Using a double layer of foil, create a pouch/packet around the brisket. Add the apple juice and beer and tightly seal the foil pouch. Place the brisket back in the smoker for 2 more hours, adding a handful of chips and 12 or so coals. After 2 hours, open the lid and let the brisket cook for an additional hour.
4. While the brisket finishes cooking, make the smoky barbecue sauce, horseradish sauce, and red cabbage slaw. Make the barbecue sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook at a low bubble for 15-20 minutes. Make the horseradish sauce by stirring together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until needed. Make the red cabbage slaw by mixing all of the ingredients together in a bowl until the cabbage is coated with dressing. Refrigerate until needed.
5. Thinly slice the brisket against the grain on a large cutting board. Add some barbecue sauce to the brisket slices and give everything a rough chop to combine. Pile the roll bottoms with brisket and top with a sprinkle of cheddar and some slaw. Slather the roll tops with horseradish sauce and set the tops in place.
Per serving: 1,250 calories, 91 grams protein, 51 grams carbohydrates, 15 grams sugar, 73 grams fat, 301 milligrams cholesterol, 2,619 milligrams sodium, 4 grams dietary fiber