Despite brain injury, she lived life to fullest

Thelma Stevens
Thelma Stevens
Posted: June 13, 2012

No degree of adversity could stop Thelma Renee Stevens from living life to the fullest.

Thelma suffered from a brain injury that caused seizures throughout her life, but her spirit never wavered.

"She was a fighter," said an aunt, Patricia Fletcher. "She never gave up."

Thelma Stevens, who worked as a teacher's aide at a day-care center and as a housekeeper, died after a seizure on May 31. She was 25 and lived in West Philadelphia.

Despite her physical problems, Thelma's death was unexpected and shocked the family.

"It hurts," her aunt said. "It was a terrible shock.

“She was just adorable," Pat Fletcher said. "She was fun to be around, always joking and cheering others. Thelma was always kind, loving and gentle to people. She had the most beautiful smile.

“Thelma's love for her family was an anchor for all. A daily phone call to Grandmom Alma and Grandpop Ernest was a standard, as well as always being available to all. Once you met ?Thelma, you would fall in love with her."

Thelma was born in Philadelphia to Renee Stevens and David Tabon. She graduated from Overbrook High School in 2005. She studied nursing for a time, receiving support from the city Office of Vocational Servcies. She completed an internship and was employed as a teacher's aide at a local day-care center.

Thelma faithfully attended the family church, Truth Baptist, at 56th Street and Lansdowne Avenue. She loved hanging out with cousins, and often could be found at Aunt Pat Fletcher's house in West Philly. Thelma obviously felt most comfortable with her extended family.

"Thelma truly loved and valued her family," Pat said.

"She was very motivated and goal-directed," said family friend Jean Waites-Howard, an evangelist and social worker. "She was loved by everyone she met."

Thelma loved shopping, the movies and being at Baker's Playground on Lansdowne Avenue, where she would hang out with the staff and spend hours in the pool.

She is survived by her parents, Renee and David, and stepmother, Mary; three brothers, Christopher Stevens, David Tabon and Eric Tabon; her grandparents, Ernest and Alma Williams and Joanne Stevens and David Snyder.

Services: Were Saturday. Burial was at Merion Memorial Park, Bala Cynwyd. n

Contact John F. Morrison at 215-854-5573 or, or on Twitter @johnfmorrison.

comments powered by Disqus