Czechs get by Greeks, 2-1, at Euros; police battle fans

Posted: June 14, 2012

After an embarrassing 4-1 opening loss to Russia at the European Championship, the Czech Republic pressed right from kickoff and scored two quick goals en route to a 2-1 victory over Greece on Tuesday in Wroclaw, Poland.

Petr Jiracek scored the first goal, beating Greek keeper Costas Chalkias in the third minute after a pass from Tomas Hubschmann sliced through the Greek defense. Vaclav Pilar added the second three minutes later with his second goal of the tournament.

Substitute Fanis Gekas pulled one back for Greece in the 53d minute with a tap-in after Czech goalkeeper Petr Cech spilled the ball and bumped into defender Tomas Sivok.

But the Greek rally came too late, and their chances of advancing were hurt following a 1-1 draw with cohost Poland in the opening Group A match.

In the day's other game, Alan Dzagoev scored his third goal of the Euros, but Jakub Blaszczykowski tied it in the second half as Russia and Poland tied, 1-1, in Warsaw.

The match was marred before kickoff by fighting between hooligans from both countries, leaving 15 people injured while more than 100 were detained as thousands of Russian fans marched to celebrate the Russia Day national holiday.

After scattered fighting in the Polish capital before the match, police fired rubber bullets at a group of fans who attacked them with bottles and stones near an outdoor fan zone where about 75,000 people were watching the game on huge screens.

The march to the stadium by about 5,000 Russian fans was seen as a provocation by many Poles, who have long had tense relations with Russia.

City Islanders top Union. In a friendly in Hershey, Pa., the Union fell, 3-2, to the Harrisburg City Islanders, their minor-league affiliate. Garret Pettis scored twice and Yann Ekra added another for the City Islanders. Jorge Perlaza, acquired in the trade for Danny Mwanga, scored in his debut for the Union. Kai Herdling scored the second Union goal.

comments powered by Disqus