Girl, 2, shot in stomach outside Logan house party

Posted: June 18, 2012

More than 100 people gathered outside a house party in Logan Saturday night when gunshots erupted, injuring three people, including a 2-year-old girl.

Ebony Stratton, 25, who was at the cookout in the middle of the block on 12th Street near Courtland, said on Sunday that the booming sounds first appeared to be fireworks, and a deejay told everyone to stay calm. But then, it was clear gunshots were being fired, and her first reaction was to "drop and get cover."

It was about 9 p.m. and everyone started running, she said. A woman holding a little girl — the 2-year-old — frantically ran with her to a police car, Stratton said. Later, a medic with an ambulance, which couldn't make it down the street to the girl because of double-parked cars, made his way to the toddler and transported her away, other neighbors said.

Police on Sunday said the toddler, who was not identified, was at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, in critical condition. She had been shot once in the stomach.

Also wounded in the shooting were a 22-year-old man, who was shot once in the left leg and was in stable condition at Albert Einstein Medical Center, and a 30-year-old man, shot once in the left hand, who was taken to Temple University Hospital in stable condition.

Police were still investigating the shooting and had made no arrests.

Neighbors on the block said they did not know any of the people injured and believed that the 2-year-old girl lived elsewhere.

A group of young men, hanging out Sunday on the steps and rowhouse porches of 4617 and 4619 N. 12th Street, where the party reportedly took place, claimed to the Daily News that they were not at the party, and did not know anyone who got shot.

Three neighbors on the block said that contrary to initial reports, the party was not a block party. "That was a house party that shouldn't have been," said one 52-year-old woman.

One man, 39, who only wanted to give his last name of Clay, said he heard that word of the house party had been posted on Facebook, bringing in outsiders. He said a family member of his and a neighbor had called cops before the shooting started because of the double-parking. But it wasn't until after the gunfire erupted and he called 9-1-1 that police finally showed up, he said.

Contact Julie Shaw at 215-854-2592 or

comments powered by Disqus