So while muffin batter cooked in a skillet may resemble a pancake, the taste is all muffin. And while muffins can take half an hour to bake, these pancake-style muffins cook up in just minutes.
Skillet Blueberry Muffin Pancakes Makes 4 servings
For the muffins:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries
For the topping:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and lemon zest. In a separate bowl or 2-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk together the milk, egg, oil, and vanilla. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry, then stir just until a batter forms. Gently stir in the blueberries. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium. Coat the skillet with cooking spray, reduce heat to low, then ladle batter into the skillet, using about 1/4 to 1/3 cup per muffin. Do not crowd the pan, as the muffins will spread.
4. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a bit of the topping. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until risen and browned on the bottom. Use a spatula to flip and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes.
5. Repeat with remaining batter.
Per serving: 475 calories, 10 grams protein, 85 grams carbohydrates, 36 grams sugar, 10 grams fat, 46 milligrams cholesterol, 334 milligrams sodium, 3 grams dietary fiber