DEAR ABBY: Our German shepherd, Leah, was playing with a hard rubber ball that was about the size of a tennis ball. Somehow, the ball slid down her throat. I tried to dislodge it by grabbing and pulling it out. When that didn't work, I tried the Heimlich maneuver. That didn't work either. By the time we got Leah to the veterinarian, she was dead.
Abby, please tell your readers to never let their dog play with any object that fits into its mouth. If it fits, it can lodge in the throat. I don't want anyone else to experience the pain of losing their dog like we lost ours.