Fumes from Brown School's broken generator send more than 50 students to hospital

Posted: October 11, 2012

More than 50 students were taken to hospitals Tuesday morning after being sickened by exhaust fumes from a broken generator at a school in the city's Holmesburg section, a Philadelphia School District spokesman said.

About 9 a.m., students at Joseph H. Brown Elementary School reported feeling ill and the Philadelphia Fire Department was called, said spokesman Fernando Gallard.

The building was evacuated and the children were taken to a nearby church that serves as an emergency shelter for the school, at Stanwood Street and Frankford Avenue, Gallard said.

"Approximately 53 students were taken to different hospitals for observations," Gallard said. "All the students, to our knowledge, have been released."

The cause of the incident was identified as a backup generator, which suffered a malfunction and spewed exhaust into the school, Gallard said.

The generator was repaired and classes are expected to resume Wednesday, he said.


Contact Robert Moran at 215-854-5983 or bmoran@phillynews.com, or follow @RobertMoran215 on Twitter.

comments powered by Disqus
|
|
|
|
|