5. Bigger Is Bettor. . . Wilmer Garcia. . . 20-1
6. Saratoga Snacks. . . Ramon Dominguez. . . 9-5
7. Saxophone Len. . . Jose Lezcano. . . 15-1
8. Lunar Victory. . . Junior Alvarado. . . 8-5
Lunar Victory had won five straight before coming up a half-length short of victory in a shorter race. The extra 220 yards should be a perfect fit distancewise and stylewise. Sailmate figures to make a nice late run, but does not figure to catch Lunar Victory at this distance or any other. Saratoga Snacks has been brilliant in his four straight wins, but he has never been this far or raced against this quality of competition.
* D.J.'s picks
1. Lunar Victory. 2. Sailmate. 3. Saratoga Snacks.
The Lexus Raven Run
Keeleland, Race 9 - Post 5:27
$250,000 (Grade II), 3 y.o. fillies, 7 furlongs
1. Sweet Cat. . . Julien Leparoux. . . 6-1
2. Assateague. . . Joe Rocco Jr.. . . 15-1
3. La Tia. . . Jesus Castanon. . . 8-1
4. Lotta Lovin. . . Rosie Napravnik. . . 8-1
5. Yankee Union. . . Brian Hernandez Jr.. . . 30-1
6. Killer Graces. . . Shaun Bridgmohan. . . 12-1
7. Anna Sophia. . . Victor Lebron. . . 12-1
8. Drama Drama. . . Jon Court. . . 20-1
9. Flashy Lassie. . . Corey Lanerie. . . 20-1
10. Via Villaggio. . . Martin Pedroza. . . 4-1
11. Gypsy Robin. . . John Velazquez. . . 3-1
12. Monono. . . Leandro Goncalves. . . 20-1
13. Mercy Lou. . . Carlos Villasana. . . 50-1
14. Sacristy. . . Miguel Mena. . . 8-1
Looks as if there could be a hot, contested pace, never a good thing for speed horses on the polytrack surface. Sacristy looks like the horse that could benefit by the shape of the race, as she figures to be sitting several lengths off the pace and making her run in the stretch. Via Villaggio has shown good form on various surfaces on both coasts and in between. No reason to think she will not fire, and this distance may be ideal. Gypsy Robin likely will go favored, as she is not only fast, she is also unbeaten on synthetic. If she can outrun the other speed, she will be very difficult to catch. If she gets in a duel, I like my pick even more.
* D.J.'s picks:
1. Sacristy. 2. Via Villaggio. 3. Gypsy Robin.
Delaware Park, Race 10 - Post 5:45
$100,000, 3 y.o., 1-1/16 miles
1. Stephanaotsee. . . Sheldon Russell. . . 7-2
2. Road Worthy. . . Xavier Perez. . . 50-1
3. Casual Trick. . . Daniel Centeno. . . 6-1
4. My Adonis. . . Alex Cintron. . . 9-2
5. Called to Serve. . . Huber Villa-Gomez. . . 5-2
6. Key Donation. . . Jose Caraballo. . . 8-1
7. Adirondack King. . . Jeremy Rose. . . 10-1
8. Traffic Light. . . John Bisono. . . 12-1
9. Speightscity. . . Ricardo Santana Jr.. . . 15-1
10. Conspiracy. . . Kendrick Carmouche. . . 12-1
Traffic Light ran bravely when second in the Smarty Jones on Labor Day after a speed duel. He probably came back too soon that day, but now he is well-rested and absolutely looks like lone speed. This is a very good horse that is a very nice price on the morning line. Stephanoatsee made what looked like a winning move in the Pennsylvania Derby before getting bogged down on the rail. Called to Serve has strung together two strong figures when third in the West Virginia Derby and Oklahoma Derby.
* D.J.'s picks:
1. Traffic Light. 2. Stephanoatsee. 3. Called to Serve.
- Dick Jerardi